Shoulder Season and Insert Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jscs.moore

Feeling the Heat
Sep 9, 2015
Eastern PA
Hey all...in my second season of burning with my HI300 insert and have noticed something interesting (at least to me) while burning in the shoulder season. Since temps have been moderate at night (low 40's) I've been burning smaller wood loads & running the insert without the blower on so I don't cook my family out of the living room area. Since having the insert installed last year I've pretty much have left the fan on auto and it kicks on when the firebox hits a certain temp (225 I think). But I noticed recently by not using the blower I can really get the insert temp up high and get a lot of radiant heat without the need for the blower?

So my question is...is leaving the insert fan on auto advisable? Or is it better to really let the insert heat up to a much higher temp first (say 450 or so) before turning the fan on. Obviously using the fan cools the firebox down so I'm wondering if having it on auto all the time keeps the insert temp from rising as quickly as it should?

P.S. I also had a block off plate installed this season, so that may also be the reason I seem to have higher stove box temps and more radiant heat without the blower on? I

P.S. I also had a block off plate installed this season, so that may also be the reason I seem to have higher stove box temps and more radiant heat without the blower on?
Yes, quite likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.