Should I buy an older VC Defiant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountaindad

Nov 3, 2019
santa cruz
I use a country stove but my neighbor needs a wood stove for a 900sqft cabin with 15ft ceilings, large loft area. Large internal volume. We found another neighbor willing to sell a mid '80s VC Defiant for $80 in pretty great shape (no glass doors and fixed top hot plate). I think the stove is overkill for the space but its only cheap and in pretty great shape. My concerns are that it would heat the place up too much and they might want to burn a lower heat fire and not sure how that would affect performance. Flue will be reduced from 8in to 6in so it should draft even better and VC allows this reducer. For the price is it a no brainer or should we wait until something else comes along? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8c7a803a76c773405a3be230157a7f41.jpeg.max600.jpg
    8c7a803a76c773405a3be230157a7f41.jpeg.max600.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 294
  • eaa639245f538599ab0a1947033486e2.jpeg.max800.jpg
    eaa639245f538599ab0a1947033486e2.jpeg.max800.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 6127403b8ab77ee86774e736636108ff.jpeg.max600.jpg
    6127403b8ab77ee86774e736636108ff.jpeg.max600.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 289
If the insides look good - no warping or cracks - go for it.
If they use it constantly, they will figure out the best way
to burn it so it fits their needs. If it turns out to be wrong
for their needs, it's not a big expenditure & somebody else
might find that it's EXACTLY what THEY need...

Don't do it, especially in a small space. These also have a lot of weird mannerisms. Most people just operated them with the damper open like a conventional stove.

Well, one vote for one vote against. Probably some truth to both! This one has been used for years in a 1600sqft home with no problems. Sure it will have its quirks, but I think they can manage the stove's personality. Only concern is that it will only be used when they get home from work for a couple hours, probably not enough to get it really hot. Right now the couple doesnt have heat, but not so much of a rush since temps are still ok. I use a large Country Legacy 260 and I really like its temperament. What would be a reasonable price for finding something used similar in design to the Country but 1/2 the size? We have all the 6" double wall pipe with about 18ft of rise. Just need to get them something that will be inexpensive and user friendly.

The original Defiants and Vigilants are pretty well behaved and predictable as long as dry wood is burned. It's oversized for sure, They are nice heaters, but at this age you want to be sure to have it checked for seam leaks, no cracks and no warps, especially in the baffle. It will be oversized especially in Santa Cruz, so they might opt for something smaller down the line. In the meantime, they can run shorter, hotter fires. Just be sure there is a spark arrester on the chimney. Things are already too dicey for fires in the Bay area.

Reread the original posting. There is one serious flaw in the plan. The Defiant needs an 8" flue. It should not be choked down. To do so would be a violation of the manual's instruction and could cause problems. Look for another stove with a 6" flue or consider a new one in the $6-700 range. The Englander 13-NC or a mid-sized Century could work.

I have Defiant as a backup to my woodboiler. Its great stove but its oversized for a small house. Yes it can be run with small loads but it unlikely the bypass system designed to encourage secondary combustion warm enough to actual do a lot except add some heat transfer area. A known issue is if you get a hot fire and try to control it with the thermostatic damper its very likely that the stove will have "puff backs" which can lift the cooking plate.

Reactions: fbelec and SpaceBus
I have Defiant as a backup to my woodboiler. Its great stove but its oversized for a small house. Yes it can be run with small loads but it unlikely the bypass system designed to encourage secondary combustion warm enough to actual do a lot except add some heat transfer area. A known issue is if you get a hot fire and try to control it with the thermostatic damper its very likely that the stove will have "puff backs" which can lift the cooking plate.

That's what made us get a smaller stove, the lifting griddle in the middle of the night

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the info. The VC Defiant manual says a 6in flue is fine; just cant use it in open fireplace mode (info from here in the forums). I think Im going to look for an appropriate size stove and one that is takes less creativity to manage. Something like a Regency 2100 or similar.

Smart idea. VC sold a lot of Defiants initially and quickly found out that not everyone was heating an uninsulated "barn". They quickly came out with smaller models which were snapped up by folks who liked the original design but were getting roasted out of their homes.

BTW a cast iron teapot usually will keep the lid from lifting up during a puff event. Defiants with 6" flues are unhappy unless its an ideal chimney. Generally that means a straight center flue discharging above the ridgepole with no local terrain issues. Put one on outside flue that discharges below the ridge pole and they are not happy stoves.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
Appreciate that in sight peakbagger (and your handle). I found a Avalon Rainier thats a perfect fit for the space. Right now its in insert mode but can be easily converted to freestanding. BTW bag any peaks lately?

I hope to be on a couple of local peaks tomorrow. The last one was an obscure peak with no trail to the summit and no official name so its map and compass through the woods to find a plastic jar with a register book in it at the summit (I rarely use GPS) . Many folks hike "lists" and this one was on the NH 200 highest list, I just go with them for fun and dont keep track. Mt Pierce and Mt Eisenhower are on the agenda for tomorrow. The peaks in NH are not tall but they can be nasty, there was a winter rescue of two hikers this past week where they were lost in a whiteout. Despite the calendar, its early winter conditions so I will have traction and snowshoes along with full winter gear. Its also close to the shortest days of the year so its short hikes or some hiking in the dark. If the conditions are right, winter hiking is my preference as the trails are less rocky and the views are longer. If someone doesnt have an outdoor hobby (and a good heating system) they generally do not hang around for many winters in northern NH ;)

Reactions: moresnow
Back in the mid-80's I lived in an old farm house in Vermont with a Defiant in the kitchen. It stayed "up" during the winter, period. Resolutes and Intrepids throughout the house, if all lit, made for a a warm home.

Tonight two stirling engine fans are spinning on a 600F and declining stove. Chocolate Lab and Staffie Terrior both dead asleep in front of the stove.