Should a baffle move?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cearbhaill

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 15, 2007
The deep end
I think it is the baffle, anyway- the part that is the top of the firebox with the holes where the secondary burn air comes in? Is this supposed to have any "play" in it- as in could be moved if (for example) one was to try and cram too much wood into the firebox?

Pacific Energy "Pacific" insert D-1.

I noticed that mine seemed a tad unaligned today so I took the poker and was able to scoot it sideways enough so that it appears to be centered again.
But now I am seeing secondary burn taking place at the rear crack instead of out of the holes on the top.

Have I done something terrible?
Is it an emergency?
I am definitely having the guy come and look at it tomorrow (if he can).
Can I keep it running in the meantime?

Cearbhaill said:
I think it is the baffle, anyway- the part that is the top of the firebox with the holes where the secondary burn air comes in? Is this supposed to have any "play" in it- as in could be moved if (for example) one was to try and cram too much wood into the firebox?

Pacific Energy "Pacific" insert D-1.

I noticed that mine seemed a tad unaligned today so I took the poker and was able to scoot it sideways enough so that it appears to be centered again.
But now I am seeing secondary burn taking place at the rear crack instead of out of the holes on the top.

Have I done something terrible?
Is it an emergency?
I am definitely having the guy come and look at it tomorrow (if he can).
Can I keep it running in the meantime?

i would think the floating baffle design pe has that is ok... wood hits it ... heat will cause it to expand ... i think you should be alright as i have seen my move as well

I'm right in the middle of reading the PE baffle thread in order to understand things, but it still worries me that I am getting all my secondary burn out of the rear and none out of the holes- but then I am afraid to let it get really hot also.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

There is a gasket in the back between the baffle and the secondary air inlet. Ya knocked it loose or the baffle isn't seated on it.

BrotherBart said:
There is a gasket in the back between the baffle and the secondary air inlet. Ya knocked it loose or the baffle isn't seated on it.
And this is remedied how?
And how dangerous is it?
Meaning do I need to shut it down asap or just let it go out naturally so I can have it looked at tomorrow?

Page 13 of the manual gives directions on removing and reinstalling the baffle and inspecting the gasket.

Cearbhaill said:
BrotherBart said:
And this is remedied how?
And how dangerous is it?
Meaning do I need to shut it down asap or just let it go out naturally so I can have it looked at tomorrow?
don't worry you can still run it it just isn't as effiecent (sp) right now

BrotherBart said:
Page 13 of the manual gives directions on removing and reinstalling the baffle and inspecting the gasket.

Yes, I have read it 15 times in the last three minutes.
It is way too hot to do that.

Is this an emergency situation where I need to shut the thing off immediately?

Cearbhaill said:
BrotherBart said:

Yes, I have read it 15 times in the last three minutes.
It is way too hot to do that.

Is this an emergency situation where I need to shut the thing off immediately?

no its still a stove with a chimmney and as long as the chimmney isn't blocked (which your isn't) you can still run it it just isn't going to be as eff. as i said before

The ceramic baffle on my Hearthstone Heritage wood stove gets out of place very easily. Mine has no way to keep it in place, it just floats there above the air tubes, held down by gravity. When it is not centered the flow of gas is not in position for secondary burn and none takes place, secondary burn is by passed completely. Check the baffles position frequently. I just recenter it when I notice it out of place with a fire place poker.

iceman said:
no its still a stove with a chimmney and as long as the chimmney isn't blocked (which your isn't) you can still run it it just isn't going to be as eff. as i said before

Thank you for the reassurance iceman<----

I'm sorry to be such a worry wart bother, but I am a little old lady sitting here and think it is understandable that I be concerned when something is out of place inside there.
So I can go ahead and let it get hot like always, or should I take it easy until I have it fixed?

And to clarify- you mean 'not as efficient' as in emissions, or as in ability to heat?

I would like to be 100% certain that this is not a safety issue.

It's ok to see burning @ the rear of the baffle, there is a row of holes back there, just under the lip that runs across the back of the baffle. Our Summit does it's seconary burn back there sometimes.
You can replace the baffle gasket right now after the stove cools if you want, but I don't think it is necessary. Just change it before the beginning of next year's heating season.

Jimbob said:
It's ok to see burning @ the rear of the baffle, there is a row of holes back there, just under the lip that runs across the back of the baffle. Our Summit does it's seconary burn back there sometimes.
You can replace the baffle gasket right now after the stove cools if you want, but I don't think it is necessary. Just change it before the beginning of next year's heating season.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the reassurance.

I was planning the evacuation in my head :ahhh:

Cearbhaill said:
Jimbob said:
Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the reassurance.

I was planning the evacuation in my head :ahhh:

lol.... mine is the same way i noticed it moves a little either way but i still see secondary burns and will replace the gasket next year as well

Status
Not open for further replies.