Midwest (OH, IL, IN, WI, MI, IA) Shortage of pellets in Midwest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metermaid2

Feb 1, 2018
LaPorte,IN
I was wondering if there is a shortage of pellets in north and north east states.I cant remember Menards ever running out in my area.They have been out for over a week.Where does majority of pellets come from?I just wondered how many ton you buy to make it through winter in different places.

What brand are you trying to buy? I noticed several stores were out of Pro Pellets/Magic Spark this year and late last year when I wanted my 4th ton. That brand comes from Michigan near the Indiana border. I was able to get them, just had to travel farther and pay more than usual. They perform great in my stove so I prefer to keep using them. I typically burn 3 ton, sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more, so I make sure I have 4 ton to be safe.

All of our local Menards are out of stock too. Some of our Rural King stores have limited supply (meaning a few bags on a shelf inside the store) but not the one ton skids that I buy. Normally use 5-6 tons a year. Gonna finish up this year on corn at $4.50 per 50# bag, and let Menards sort out their supplier issues without my money.

Fleet Farm in Mankato is out and says they only have pellets in SE Wisconsin and Sioux Falls and they won't be reordering. So after selling us thousands of pellet heaters, Fleet Farm has abandoned us.

The Menards I use in Massillon Ohio is out of stock, at least the 4th time this year. Last week they showed 50 bags in stock?There isn't a Lowes that has stock either. I still have a little over a ton left of 7. Feel sorry for anyone looking. Hasn't been like this in about 5 years around here.