Short distance to outside air intake vs. secondary burn performance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catamounts

Dec 4, 2015
Massachusetts
My stove is connected to an outside air intake which conveniently enters from the wall directly behind the stove (it's on an exterior wall). It's a very short distance - about a foot to the rear bottom intake of the stove and it works fairly well... except in previous years when I had no OAK hooked up the secondaries burn seemed a little more intense. It seems like when it's super cold outside, the short distance of the 4" flex duct is dumping cold air directly into the secondary intake channel and not allowing it to get up to temperature for efficient secondary combustion.

Instead of going directly from wall to bottom rear of stove, I was considering looping the flex duct behind the back of the stove and then back down into the intake on the bottom of the stove. So from wall-to-stove instead of: |__| it would look more like: |_( )_|

The argument is that this should help warm up the incoming air for better secondary combustion
The counter-argument is that the extra distance added by the loop and the fact that heated air wants to rise or might be trapped at the top of this short vertical loop could reduce the draw and potentially cause issues (the counter-counter-argument is that a 4" tube seems generally oversized for a woodstove).

What are your thoughts?

Just speculating, but I'm wondering if the minor difference you are seeing is more of a product of friction loss in the ducting than a temperature difference. Even at the extreme end, the temperature differential between outdoor and indoor air supply is pretty small compared to the degrees of preheating that happen in the manifold/tubes/baffle before the air hits unburnt wood gases. I'm sure every little bit makes a difference though.

How about reducing the air intake area on the outside as a test? Temporary tape perhaps? Not sure if that would be effective but it sure would be easy for testing! If you feel that less free intake air provided better secondary it may be worth a shot. Dunno.