Shopping for a fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 29, 2019
Wellsboro, PA
I’m looking at inserts and when I ask about cleaning the chimney, most say first you move the baffel above the secondary air tubes and then the insulating carpet above the baffel and the sweep and stuff falls into the fire box. Lopi is different. They say to just pull the bypass and sweep. That sounds easy. Is that really how it works?

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
I’m looking at inserts and when I ask about cleaning the chimney, most say first you move the baffel above the secondary air tubes and then the insulating carpet above the baffel and the sweep and stuff falls into the fire box. Lopi is different. They say to just pull the bypass and sweep. That sounds easy. Is that really how it works?
Yeah but you still have to make sure the baffle and bypass area is clean. Most are pretty easy to do regardless

That’s exactly how it worked on our Revere. It was nice.

I was a little sad to give that feature up in getting a different brand, but having installed the tubes and put the baffle board in place on our new insert, I’m no longer thinking it will be a big chore at cleaning time. Just a little one, I hope.

It's what I do with my Lopi. As far as I know, it works fine.

My Lopi (Cape Cod) insert I have to take two of the tubes out then the top bricks then the rod and bypass plate and then a baffle board not a hard job to do but most of the time the baffle is warped so I have to flatten it out. It’s good time to inspect the stove a bit. A little work but not terrible.