Shipping a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Boater

Nov 13, 2019
AR
I’m in Arkansas. Unfortunately our choice of dealers is extremely limited and they can’t (or won’t) get a pre 2020 Jotul Oslo 500 or Hearthstone Manchester. Is there anyone that you all know of that could and do they ship them?
Thanks

I guess you already went to the stove websites and looked for local dealers? Their databases often aren't that good, though. You could try to track down the distributor and see where they can ship it that's nearby. No local dealer means no local support. I had a stove for my SIL shipped to a store about 100 miles away, and the dealer turned out to be a slug anyway, so I guess I'm on my own if something goes wrong. I'm comfortable working on stoves so if I can get the replacement parts, I'll handle it from there.
This guy, Tom Oyen, is very good but he's out west..shipping could be a bear. He sometimes runs shipping discounts, though. I don't know about pre-2020 though. He told me he didn't have any older PE in stock. But I bet if I had found the distributor out there, I might have been able to get it through him.

Poking around, I find this regarding a Jotul Oslo 500: "Due to manufacturer policies, we cannot ship this product outside of Colorado"

There might be more issues than simple logistics.

I was at a jotul dealer last week. I was told they couldnt get anymore jotuls. They had one rangely 50 on the floor.. said jotul dosent have any 2020 approved stoves in there line

I was at a jotul dealer last week. I was told they couldnt get anymore jotuls. They had one rangely 50 on the floor.. said jotul dosent have any 2020 approved stoves in there line
That’s simply not true. We currently have 3 2020 products in the market and are working on more every day. The pre 2020 f-500 is still available and being shipped every day.

Jotulguy, I wish a 500 would ship to me! I was told that they are still available by a dealer on this site, but unfortunately the one dealer I talked to in central Arkansas told me that wasn’t right and quoted me a $4300+ tax for a 2020 Jotul 500. The other Jotul dealer for some reason won’t call me back. My fault for not being on top of this earlier in the year. We are building a new house and I was not aware of all the upcoming epa changes until I started looking and first settled on a 500 and then a Manchester.

You definitely can’t get a Manchester unless it’s on a showroom floor somewhere. We can still get an F-500 for now, last I heard. We’ve got a V3 500 to show, and I saw another one in the warehouse that was ordered.

$4300 for an F500? :eek: Looks like a Manchester shipped to AR is less than $4000, including shipping.
I thought that price was a little steep too! And if that wasn’t the 2020 Manchester with the “new” technology, I’d probably order one. But I don’t want to spend $3000+ on a first year stove

FYI, if you have a nearby Fastenal dealer, you can use them for shipping freight. Just set up the pickup in advance with Fastenal then have the seller drop it off on pallet and you will get a call when its delivered to the local store. I have shipped a few items and my friend shipped a 1949 F3 truck cab along with a lot of other ford parts from out west.

FYI, if you have a nearby Fastenal dealer, you can use them for shipping freight. Just set up the pickup in advance with Fastenal then have the seller drop it off on pallet and you will get a call when its delivered to the local store. I have shipped a few items and my friend shipped a 1949 F3 truck cab along with a lot of other ford parts from out west.
Thanks, may do that if I can find what we want.

Should also be able to ship to a freight center. I have had to pick up freight in St.Louis down town at the freight depot. Was no biggie.

I live out in a rural area, nearest freight centers are usually 2 hours away. Fastenal is lot closer (about 45 minutes).

We went stove shopping on November 19 and were shocked to discover that the local Jotul dealer had no stoves in the showroom and advised that we should order ASAP if we wanted to get one of the last 2019-spec units. They said Jotul was building to order, not wanting to create even one more 2019-spec stove than they could sell right away. And they said the reason their showroom was empty is that they would be stuck with any 2019 stoves after the 2020 regs kick in.

Given that the new regs don't kick in until May, I was surprised by this, but heard similar stories from other dealers and brands. Fingers crossed that our order of a C450 Kennebec CF comes through OK. We ordered on November 20 and they are talking delivery to the dealer during Christmas week.

-dan

If a dealer has a forklift, and you have the ability to move a stove on your end, I'd recommend Old Dominion for freight delivery. I've shipped several large items over the years, and they've been great. They do get a bit more for shipping to a residential address, and the stove is your responsibility once the lift gate drops, but I've always found their drivers to be helpful and patient......just another option.

Reactions: Boater
Thanks for the tip. Apparently, I’m out of luck on getting a Jotul 500 Oslo in the state of Arkansas and no one that I’ve found will ship one so we are seriously considering a Woodstock

Thanks for the tip. Apparently, I’m out of luck on getting a Jotul 500 Oslo in the state of Arkansas and no one that I’ve found will ship one so we are seriously considering a Woodstock
That's not a bad alternative.

Reactions: Boater
That sounds like a deal! For that price, it should not only load itself with wood, but cut it too!!