Seven and a half cord stacked yesterday in lean to.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Two young amish boys ,working fools never stopped till done,5 hours and 50 minutes,hard to find anyone willing to do this anymore.
My friends sons,one just entered Rumspriga ,16 not in compliance garb,his brother 12 incredible boys. wood shed.jpgwood shed 1.jpgtwo men.jpeg

Reactions: D8Chumley
The young men were paid 25$ an hour each,worth it to me,nobody around here will work for that.
Holy Cats, that's a king's ransom in these parts, call me next time, will ya? ==c
I remember picking up hay when we first got here, and the tightwad (who's become a friend since) would only pay minimum wage. Unless those kids where carrying massive armloads of wood at a time, I'm pretty sure that bucking fescue bales into a tall stack in the bed of a pickup in 90* heat was probably more strenuous, especially if they were a little damp. Then we had to stack 'em in one loft that was over a tack-house. Talk about hot and dusty. Stacking in the barn wasn't as bad. Then I had to walk home uphill, after walking up the same hill to get there. ;)

That's I really good wage.
Here the kids in Hi School have to do so many
hours of community service before they graduate
so there are more students than jobs and
five hours of stacking wood is easy work
for a couple of strong young lads.
It is not hard to find people to do it for there service hours
But there are rules and being a senior citizen I
can hire kids to do the work. We feel that lunch and drinks
and a few bucks thrown (10-20 dollars each) in have them asking for the job.

Holy Cats, that's a king's ransom in these parts, call me next time, will ya? ==c
I remember picking up hay when we first got here, and the tightwad (who's become a friend since) would only pay minimum wage. Unless those kids where carrying massive armloads of wood at a time, I'm pretty sure that bucking fescue bales into a tall stack in the bed of a pickup in 90* heat was probably more strenuous, especially if they were a little damp. Then we had to stack 'em in one loft that was over a tack-house. Talk about hot and dusty. Stacking in the barn wasn't as bad. Then I had to walk home uphill, after walking up the same hill to get there. ;)
Only reason i didn't do it is i have another month of recovery from a disc surgery,i drove the atv hooked to the big John Deere cart ,all red oak heavy .

The young men were paid 25$ an hour each,worth it to me,nobody around here will work for that.
You paid almost $300 to have your shed stacked full?! Did the amish unionize or something?! !!! :p ;lol

If your back is recovering, you gotta do whatcha gotta do..
Yeah I get that...back issues myself...I just thought amish teenagers still worked for $10 hr...

Reactions: Woody Stover
I just thought amish teenagers still worked for $10 hr...
Yeah, I mean it's not like they have to buy flat-screen TVs and a bunch of electronic gizmos like us mainstream suckers do. OTOH, they might want to buy a $3K+ wood stove.. ;)

If I lived near you I would for sure come stack would for $25 an hour cash under the table. That’s more than I take home in my paycheck after taxes and all the other fun government fees are taken out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I lived near you I would for sure come stack would for $25 an hour cash under the table. That’s more than I take home in my paycheck after taxes and all the other fun government fees are taken out!
If we come and help you, do I get a "senior discount" bonus? ;lol

I've connected with a neighbor through nextdoor.com. I got paid $10/hr to help him split and stack and was happy with that. He said he just needed some motivation and has been self-sufficient since then. When a 150 lb small guy is splitting and stacking without breaking a sweat, it helps re-motivate you I guess :)

You paid almost $300 to have your shed stacked full?! Did the amish unionize or something?! !!! :p ;lol
I hear you,but the things their father has done for me in the past and recently more than made up for it,the father told me not to pay them,but i did.It actually was worth it to get it done,while the weather was pleasant.

Is that really 7.5 cords? 5-20"? rows, 6 feet tall, 4-40" pallets wide = 666 cubic feet, 5.2 cords.

Don't run out!