Serious problems with Harman XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
2014 model. Wife was home by herself last night when the pellet stove stop feeding, although Hopper was half full. My wife did not realize there was a feeding problem after she restarted the stove and she went back to bed. In the morning the stove was humming with the sound of the blower, but still no pellets were feeding. My wife turned off the pellet stove and the stove continue to make the blower sound as though it was cooling down. My wife went to work and came back 9 hours later. Although the stove was in the off position, the stove was still making the same blower sound and a slight grinding sound when she returned from work. When doing the test, the only light that comes on is the blower. My wife also says she smells electricity as though a wire or something might be melting. Where do I start looking?

Last edited:
Really sounds like control board died.However,smelling "wire" which I will have to "assume" is burnt insulation smell,is very rare,in a Harman.Unplug stove.Unplug the ignitor.Plug stove pack in,and turn to test position,and report results.

Really sounds like control board died.However,smelling "wire" which I will have to "assume" is burnt insulation smell,is very rare,in a Harman.Unplug stove.Unplug the ignitor.Plug stove pack in,and turn to test position,and report results.

I am not going to be back in town for about a week or so. Right now stove is unplugged. Unfortunately I do not know how to unplug the ignitor. If somebody could leave me detailed directions, I will unplug it. In addition you mention two turn to test position, is that with the igniter unplugged? Or do I plug the ignitor back in and then run the test?

If it is the control board, is it inexpensive part? Is it easy to change out?

Harman control boards are still probably the cheapest pellet stove control boards,240 or less.But,if burnt wiring was smelled(a rare event,in a Harman),you will want to totally check out all wiring,or have a service tech dot,before installing a new board.

If the door or hopper lid are not shut all the way it will cause the same symptom. If vac switch dont close the stove keeps fan on to be sure smoke dont get into house.

make sure no pellets are trapped in lid gasket area preventing it from sealing

Thanks for everyone's advice. These control boards only last for 4 years?
This is a 2014 model, so I think they did away with the hopper switch therefor the stove can be ran with the hopper door open.

Again, I am not home and relying on my wife's description of what is going on. I am wondering also if is an auger jam and the smell me wife is telling me is the motor burning up as it is attempting to turn the auger.

I know how to remove the two "lower" sliding panels, but that does not seem to expose the auger. How do I get to the auger in the attempt to turn it by hand?

In addition, where is a good place to buy my parts?
2014 Harmon XXV.

Well,you said she heard a slight grinding sound,a motor may have gone bad,tool out the board.My Accentra board lasted 10 years,my Integra lasted 22.

No grinding sound. Wife was mistaken.
How do I .....
1) get to and pull the auger confirm nothing is jammed in?
2) confirm motor is seized or burnt up?
3) lastly, how do I confirm if computer board is burnt up or fried?

No grinding sound. Wife was mistaken.
How do I .....
1) get to and pull the auger confirm nothing is jammed in?
2) confirm motor is seized or burnt up?
3) lastly, how do I confirm if computer board is burnt up or fried?
Over the years,you should have been cleaning your "fines" box.It is accessible removing the "lower panels" that you said you have done.You would have seen the auger motor setup.I am starting to suspect your stove.and flue/chimney might just need a proper cleaning.

Over the years,you should have been cleaning your "fines" box.It is accessible removing the "lower panels" that you said you have done.You would have seen the auger motor setup.I am starting to suspect your stove.and flue/chimney might just need a proper cleaning.

Yes I cleaned out the fines box. Are there any videos on how to do a proper clean up up the chimney and flue? I still doubt that the chimney and flue, if needing cleaning, would prevent the auger from turning

You need to remember that Harman has safety interlocks built into the stove that will shut the auger off. I am not saying a dirty chimney would do it but it could be a contributing factor (plus it should be cleaned regularly)

You need to remember that Harman has safety interlocks built into the stove that will shut the auger off. I am not saying a dirty chimney would do it but it could be a contributing factor (plus it should be cleaned regularly)

I just checked the fines box. It was full of pellets, not signs. This is odd as I did not know pellets can get into the fines box. What causes this? I clean the fines box out 3 weeks ago and at that time it only had fines and very few pellets. Vacuumed out all the pellets from the fines box and auger is still not working. In order to test the chimney I would have to move this big heavy stove

I just checked the fines box. It was full of pellets, not signs. This is odd as I did not know pellets can get into the fines box. What causes this? I clean the fines box out 3 weeks ago and at that time it only had fines and very few pellets. Vacuumed out all the pellets from the fines box and auger is still not working. In order to test the chimney I would have to move this big heavy stove
Full of pellets?I suppose something could have damaged the slider plate.Empty the hopper,take off the fines cover,inspect the slide plate and actuator.There are pictures of it on the net.I wonder if you got something metal in there,and damaged it.

Update: took out the exhaust pipe from rear of stove. Although the exhaust pipe was not plugged up, lots of old ash or soot fell out. I cleaned out that extension of pipe as well as gently..... gently put the vacuum car hose into the housing where the exhaust hose bolts to and vacuumed that out. Auger is now working and I I'm starting to see sparks fly in the Firebox. Yippee. I am so happy. Thank you everybody, especially the person or persons who told me to clean out the flute and chimney.

One thing I did notice on this initial start up was that the interior of the stove filled up with smoke. And it was a poof of flame. The smoke immediately cleared up. Can anybody explain why there was that build up of smoke? The exhaust appears to be working.

as I mentioned in my previous post I found almost all pellets in my fines box and no fines. I will leave the rear panels off for a week or so & keep checking the fines box to see if that is an ongoing problem or a one-time anomaly

Last edited:
Reactions: Nigel459 and Mt Bob
that is normal. the ignitor heats the pellets through the burn pot so they smolder before catching fire.

get a look at the slide plate like bob bare said.

Well I turned the stove on twice and it worked , but on the third try the stove is now dead again.
Looks like it might be the combustion blower motor. Combustion motor might be seized up when power is applied to it. Spins freely with no power. Does not spin with power and will not budge when attempting to move it with a screwdriver

Last edited: