Serenity Stove - Cleaning questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Talegas

Burning Hunk
Oct 26, 2016
Metrowest MA
Hi all,

The season to burn is coming, so I thought I would need to do some clean up. Here are some questions I have being this the first time I get to re-use my stove.

1. Stove was in basement the whole year, and it does get a bit humid downstairs. I noticed that anything I could not remove from last year's burning got a brownish color inside the burning chamber. Should i be concerned about rust or anything like that? I mean, it will burn once again and i assume that should "clear up" some of the rust, but should i scrape it off with some brass brush?
2. Cleaning up the exhaust blower.. i removed the 4 butterfly screws but the thingy is rather glue to the housing.. should i pry it off with a flat tool? or is there a better way to do this? should i seal it again with some thermal silicon?

Thoughts?

Yep carefully pry the exhaust motor off and either get a new gasket or just use hi temp sealant. Wouldn't worry about the rust.

It's interesting..there wasn't much but right under the blades there is like a cushion ..layers of maybe paper? i doubt is soot, should i try to avoid peeling it?
see pic:

Serenity Stove - Cleaning questions

Shouldn't be anything other than metal under the blades. I even double checked the new spare motor I have .

Weird.. .i'll send a picture to Ardisam and ask them.. it could be the sort of paper seal.. who knows.

Does it look like the gasket is cut to seal just on the outer edge of the flange or maybe the center of the gasket isn't cut out and is behind the blades. The replacement gasket is cut out and only about a half inch wide to seal the edge.

I think that might be a thermal barrier. Perhaps they upgraded the fans later on in production and no longer need it?

yeah I'm kinda remembering that maybe on my first serenity the gasket may have not had the center cut out just a hole that went over the motor shaft, maybe that is how they come from the factory but the replacement gasket is cut out.

Reactions: Deezl Smoke
hm, should i be asking for replacement gaskets then? or just once this one is completely worn down?

hm, should i be asking for replacement gaskets then? or just once this one is completely worn down?

I would probably call customer support with that question, since there appears to be a couple gasket designs in play. I'd be curious to know what they say. I'm thinking the large gasket like you have was a factory install out of the country, and the newer replacement gasket is a simpler, less resource consumption gasket made elsewhere that requires less material and makes higher profit. The original, may have only had the center hole, if even that, and the retaining screws were just pushed thru the gasket at the factory, making for quicker assembly time. A circumference gasket may take just enough longer time to install than the added material of the full face gasket. The factories account for every second of labor time and weigh it against material costs. That's my guess.

Reactions: rich2500
Me personally I would replace the gasket any time I pull the motor. I'm one for doing things once. Trick would be is to get some hi temp silicone gasket sheeting and make a gasket out of that then you could get away with reusing the gasket.

Reactions: Talegas
Me personally I would replace the gasket any time I pull the motor. I'm one for doing things once. Trick would be is to get some hi temp silicone gasket sheeting and make a gasket out of that then you could get away with reusing the gasket.

That is exactly what I'll end up doing if they tell me i need to replace gasket every time I clean it. I am sad to say that I send them a message via website (Ardisam) and no response in days.. then i gave them a call to their support line (during biz days/hrs) and never picked up (my never was 10-15 minutes ringing)

i'll give it another try today, or i'll just leave it as is after i removed the excess inside the casing.