Sequel to "Dumb & Dumber"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

toddnic

Minister of Fire
Jul 13, 2013
North Carolina
Well, after 20 years of running a chainsaw and splitter, this happened. Tuft break with fingernail through the top of the finger. Not paying attention trying to make sure that my 14-year-old daughter was properly cleaning the car (doing it for the 2nd time). The log splitter caught the left edge of my ring finger between a split and the metal endplate, and OUCH! I wonder how many months it will take for this to heal :/.

Attachments

• Sequel to "Dumb & Dumber"
    Woodsplitter Finger 2020.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 289
Dam your lucky you didn't lose it

Reactions: toddnic
I did that a few years ago. Left hand pinky finger, squashed, it's still deformed. You would think you would just reverse it immediately but there's that hesitation and that's all it takes

Ouch! Glad you kept the finger. We'll understand if you are typing a bit slower this summer.

I did that a few years ago. Left hand pinky finger, squashed, it's still deformed. You would think you would just reverse it immediately but there's that hesitation and that's all it takes
I felt the "crack" as I was reversing the splitter. Before I took my glove off, I knew it was bad. Hopefully, it will heal correctly in time and that a new fingernail will grow back.

I keep telling myself.....focus focus focus!! Hope it heals well for you!!!

Did the EXACT same thing on my middle finger (left hand) about 3 weeks ago. Had a 4cm split down to the middle knuckle that required 8 stitches. Had surgery on it on the 12th to put the tip back in place, fix the tendon and stitch the split up tight. ER left it partially open to help it drain.

Got distracted, and WHAM, it was over in about 2 seconds. At first I thought I wasn't hurt to bad, because there was very little pain (although I have a high pain tolerance). When I took the glove off, I said to myself, yep, bandages aren't gonna fix this. Direct pressure, ice and off to the ER.

Got a custom splint from the OT so I can start moving that middle knuckle again. Not moving it for three weeks or so, its stiffened up so much I can only get about 30% movement with it. Finger is still swollen about 1 1/2 times my other finger, even after three weeks. Will be in the splint until 8/3

Attachments

• Sequel to "Dumb & Dumber"
    Joe's Finger.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 194
  • Wow
Reactions: SpaceBus
Did the EXACT same thing on my middle finger (left hand) about 3 weeks ago. Had a 4cm split down to the middle knuckle that required 8 stitches. Had surgery on it on the 12th to put the tip back in place, fix the tendon and stitch the split up tight. ER left it partially open to help it drain.

Got distracted, and WHAM, it was over in about 2 seconds. At first I thought I wasn't hurt to bad, because there was very little pain (although I have a high pain tolerance). When I took the glove off, I said to myself, yep, bandages aren't gonna fix this. Direct pressure, ice and off to the ER.

Got a custom splint from the OT so I can start moving that middle knuckle again. Not moving it for three weeks or so, its stiffened up so much I can only get about 30% movement with it. Finger is still swollen about 1 1/2 times my other finger, even after three weeks. Will be in the splint until 8/3
Joe, so sorry that you are dealing with this. Yours is definitely worse than mine. Thankfully, I didn't have to have surgery to repair the damage. I'm still not wearing my wedding ring and I figure it will take 6 to 8 months for the fingernail to grow back. I think that my broken fingertip is healing and it doesn't hurt anymore. Half of the fingernail has come off and thankfully it is not bleeding anymore. I definitely have a lot more respect for the wood splitter. I won't be paying attention to anything else when I am splitting wood next time.

Joe, so sorry that you are dealing with this. Yours is definitely worse than mine. Thankfully, I didn't have to have surgery to repair the damage. I'm still not wearing my wedding ring and I figure it will take 6 to 8 months for the fingernail to grow back. I think that my broken fingertip is healing and it doesn't hurt anymore. Half of the fingernail has come off and thankfully it is not bleeding anymore. I definitely have a lot more respect for the wood splitter. I won't be paying attention to anything else when I am splitting wood next time.

My fingernail didn't even turn black. The surgeon said she'd never seen such a thing with this type of injury. The finger tip was essentially amputated, but it didn't even break the skin where the bone is displaced. I lucked out and all they did was move the tip back over (although its still pretty crooked from the top view) and fix the tendon.

Everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it does. Keep those paws away from the pinch points, and if you find your mind wandering while splitting, WALK away for a while.

I felt the "crack" as I was reversing the splitter. Before I took my glove off, I knew it was bad. Hopefully, it will heal correctly in time and that a new fingernail will grow back.
As a child I crushed my right thumb in a car door. My thumbnail was really messed up and after a while it turned black and fell off. Now as an adult I realized the black stuff was my blood from crushed thumb. Somehow my tiny child bones didn't break, but the thumbnail came back pretty weird. My "moon" (part near the cuticle) is split so I have like a weird crease about 1/4 from the edge on the right side. It's annoying when clipping, but otherwise goes unnoticed. So long as you didn't break any bones I think it will heal just fine, but it will take a few months, but stop hurting in a week or two.