Selling Used Jotul Castine 400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
This may be in the wrong particular forum, but what is a reasonable price for a lightly used Jotul Castine 400 stove? I bought it new in 2011, but have only burned it occasionally during our central Texas winters. None last year because of the mild winter. It has been cleaned yearly and I have run post oak and hickory in it when I burn it. Thanks.

This may be in the wrong particular forum, but what is a reasonable price for a lightly used Jotul Castine 400 stove? I bought it new in 2011, but have only burned it occasionally during our central Texas winters. None last year because of the mild winter. It has been cleaned yearly and I have run post oak and hickory in it when I burn it. Thanks.
Maybe the better question is this, for the condition that I described, what percentage of new cost do stoves sell for? I know they vary, but 50%? 75%? etc?

It depends entirely on visual inspection. You may have overtired it every time you loaded it up with wood. Over 9 years, that can cause damage. Given the lack of pics, and age, 25%-45% of new.

I would guess without seeing it, that if it is in excellent condition $1000 would be a fair price, $1200 if enameled.