Selkirk DSP Stove pipe adapter - too loose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pauly

Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Virginia - North Carolina
I had to order my stove pipe adapter ( part that sits on the outlet of the stove and goes into the double wall stove pipe) seperate from my stove and chimney pipe- the place I got the stove and chimney pipe didnt have the adapter - anyway when I set it on the outlet of the stove it is Very loose. The Inside diameter of the collar comming off my stove is 6 inches diameter and the outside diameter of the inner pipe of the adapter is 5 5/8 inches.

Will this be a problem and how are the adapters normally attached to the stove outlet collar? Could it be that I dont even need an adapter for my stove?

thanks for any help here guys.

My stove is the Pacific energy T -4.

This is what I got

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SE-DSP-6SA

I am asuming it sits down on the stove just as pictured with the crimped end up?

Something is wrong with this picture. Why didn't the dealer have or get the right adapter?

Other than that, the crimped end should face down, not up, and your description of the size does not match the dimensions in the link.

I would go back to the dealer and insist that they procure the proper part.

I agree with Dune. You should be getting these parts from your local dealer. Those adapters are designed to be smaller so they can fit inside a variety of flue collars, but by small, I would say 5 7/8 not 5 5/8. Go into the showroom you bought your stove from, she should have other stoves on display, ask them for their adapter and stick it in a stove. Should tell you lots

The link is showing a double wall stove pipe adapter. the way it looks in the picture is the way it is supposed to hook up.

Pauly - You are correct - "I am asuming it sits down on the stove just as pictured with the crimped end up?"

Also if the DSP will go over the collar then you don't need the adapter.

I did some measuring of this adapter and compared it to the picture on Selkirks web site where they also have dimensons and it is not only taller, but the inner liner's outside diameter is samller by almost a quarter inch than shown on Selkirks site. It is also out of round and the distance between the inner and outer shells is not even at all. Are all these double wall pipes so poorly made or is this just a bad one I may have gotten? Ive got Selkirk chimney pipe and it is top notch, but this stuff appears to be shoddily made.

I was thinking the same thing Franks. I bet they sent him the supervent instead of superpipe. They did that to me only my adapter fits nice and snug.

it says on the lable that it is a selkirk DSP- doesnt say DSP-6SA ( stovepope adapter)

the crimped areas on each end do not look out of round at all like it had been mashed - just like it was poorly put together -even the length of the crimp on top is uneven- it goes from 1 1/4 inches on the side where the splice is to almost 1 5/8 inches long on the opposite side. the inner pipe is so loose inside my stove outlet collar that I dont see how smoke could help but go in between the inner and outer pipes - that isnt supposed to happen with these double wall stove pipes is it?

No it isn't, I think you were sent a poor adapter. I would call who ever you got your pipe from and have them send you another one and send back the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.