Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HawksAndDoves

Nov 3, 2018
Richmond, Virginia
Hello there and thanks in advance for any help. I own a Jotul F118CB that has never been fired (bought it from a guy who bought it and never used it and it sat in his garage for a decade). Unfortunately it is a couple millimeters too tall to fit into my hearth and back into the fireplace so the flu can be run up the chimney.

I am looking to potentially trade for a more heavily used Jotul 8 (90's era with control in top left corner) that will fit in my fireplace. I have not seen the stove in person as it is a bit of a trip and the owner is offering to deliver and pick mine up. He sent pictures and I am looking to see if anybody thinks the amount of corrosion/wear in the firebox is normal. I've attached a couple pictures. Any thoughts on what I'm seeing there? I want to make sure these are indications of overheating/firing.

Any other common issues with these stoves? I know this stove is not worth quite as much as mine given the condition but i will be asking for some cash on top. Probably around 150.00.

I really appreciate any insight you guys may have. Thanks.
Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in. Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in. Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in. Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in. Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in. Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this an 8TDIC? If so, I would probably pass. It wasn't the best cat implementation and could be expensive if repairs are needed.

A couple millimeters clearance? Is this just at the F118CB flue collar or clearance for the stove body itself.

Is this an 8TDIC? If so, I would probably pass. It wasn't the best cat implementation and could be expensive if repairs are needed.

A couple millimeters clearance? Is this just at the F118CB flue collar or clearance for the stove body itself.

It looks to be the Series 8 which is the model after the 8TDIC. Early 90's. Generally a well regarded stove from what i have read. The F118CB I have currently is too tall as due to its orientation (cigar/cigarette burner style) it would need to go pretty far back into the fireplace. I believe this could sit out on the hearth and only the flu collar and such will need to extend past the sill and into the fireplace.

By sill do you mean the fireplace lintel? What is the fireplace lintel height?

begreen, thanks in fact i do mean the fireplace lintel height. I've been working in the crawlspace all day so I have sills on the brain.

The lintel is 772 mm or 30 3/8 ". Do you think the Jotul 8 won't be a good fit in any case? My main concern was the condition of the stove but if there is clearance issues obviously I'd like to be aware of that as well! Here is a pic of the fireplace just for general layout. Was hoping to keep the 8 out primarily on the hearth and not too far into the fireplace.

Seeking opinions on normal wear versus corrosion/overheating for Jotul 8 I am interested in.

begreen, thanks in fact i do mean the fireplace lintel height. I've been working in the crawlspace all day so I have sills on the brain.

The lintel is 772 mm or 30 3/8 ". Do you think the Jotul 8 won't be a good fit in any case? My main concern was the condition of the stove but if there is clearance issues obviously I'd like to be aware of that as well! Here is a pic of the fireplace just for general layout. Was hoping to keep the 8 out primarily on the hearth and not too far into the fireplace.

View attachment 232376

I'm struggling to find the specs for this specific series but it does appear at least the originals were 30.5" high so they would not fit under the lintel and probably my hearth is not big enough for it to site entirely out of the fireplace. So unless the stoves got shorter in the later series I think it's a no go. Thanks for your help.

Given the choice between a new stove and the old 8TDIC this seems to be an easy pick, but I see your concern. The F118CB is 1/4" too tall to clear the lintel. Bummer. The stove can be installed with the flue outlet on the side and the stove installed sideways on the hearth, but you may not want that. If you go for the 8 be sure to give it a very good and critical going over. My specs show the 8TDIC to be 29 3/4" tall.

Last edited:
It looks to be the Series 8 which is the model after the 8TDIC. Early 90's. Generally a well regarded stove from what i have read. The F118CB I have currently is too tall as due to its orientation (cigar/cigarette burner style) it would need to go pretty far back into the fireplace. I believe this could sit out on the hearth and only the flu collar and such will need to extend past the sill and into the fireplace.
Be green is right, either of the catalytic 8's are challenging and expensive to repair. I'd take a pass.

If the legs are removable I'd have them in the vice of my milling machine.

If the legs are removable I'd have them in the vice of my milling machine.
That thought crossed my mind. I might even consider placing the stove body on some 4x8x16" cement blocks as long as it was sitting entirely on the hearth.

It's a long shot but it might be worth checking if the short leg kit for another Jotul stove would bolt on correctly. You could bring in one of the legs to a dealer that has the short leg kit in stock and compare.