Secrets to drying wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
CSS 3yrs.

No secret.
I did that with a stack of maple several years back, but I didn't stack in a sunny location, it was oriented wrong for the sun and wind, and I didn't have a level top so tarp sagged. Where it sagged rain accumulated and eventually found it's way down through the pile. Only damp wood I have had to burn in the last 15 yrs.

I did that with a stack of maple several years back, but I didn't stack in a sunny location, it was oriented wrong for the sun and wind, and I didn't have a level top so tarp sagged. Where it sagged rain accumulated and eventually found it's way down through the pile. Only damp wood I have had to burn in the last 15 yrs.
Deja vu all over again. Sounds like my first year when I was in a hurry. Kind of a "how not to do it" lesson. FWIW, the Big Leaf maple was the worst stuff to dry anyway, even later. Why I like the soft woods and alder (well, also much more available here anyway...)

Yes, that was the last maple I have burned. I try to burn doug fir most of the time. We have a stash of good madrona, locust and cherry that is nice and dry too. We also have some prunings of hawthorn, eucalyptus, apple and holly that will be dry in a couple years.

I typically burn oak in the fireplace and save all my hickory for smoking. I used to split the hickory up as I cut it but since it stays out in the weather, it would start to rot after a season. Now I just leave it whole and just split about 4 or 5 pieces before a cook with an 8# maul. I also cut it into 9-10" sections, much easier to split that way.

My new IT Solution: https://diceus.com/10-software-deve...nies-in-europe-which-can-draw-your-attention/

Last edited: