Seasoning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
I installed the englander 17-vl about a month ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing so I didn't have enough truly seasoned wood. Right now I'm mixing pallet wood with 1 year old down, recently split oak to get by ( pain in the arse). Will this be seasoned enough to burn like it should next winter? That would be 2 years down, 1 year split/stacked. What is some faster seasoning wood I could cut now and burn next year?
I live in mississippi so it's pretty hot here during the summer. Thanks for any input

The best way to tell is to spend $30 on a moisture meter and check it. Try for 25% or less. Ideally 20% or less for an EPA stove.

since it is recently split,,you will probly want some other wood for next year,,, but it will burn if you have to(next year), but still probably will not be dry as it should be. It most likely did not dry any before it was split.,,,, You should not burn it this year, though some people would.

For most accurate results test on the face of freshly split wood and not the end grain.

What is some faster seasoning wood I could cut now and burn next year?

Look for maples (silver) and ash. Silver maple will be one of the fastest drying wood in your area. Get more than you think because it doesn't have the btu punch per split that oak or hickory will have.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
The oak will burn, but not as optimal as 3 yrs split & stacked. For this year, check your cap and flue once a month or so. Get yourself a cleaning kit, your going to need it.

Last edited:
I've never burned wood in a stove, only a fireplace. I never really thought much about the wood honestly cause most anything would burn if the fire was hot enough. Didn't take me long to find out that wasn't happening now! I'm working hard though to stock up. I've got several cords of pin oak and red oak split and stacked. Don't plan on having this problem again!

Reactions: PapaDave
I installed the englander 17-vl about a month ago. It was kind of a spur of the moment thing so I didn't have enough truly seasoned wood. Right now I'm mixing pallet wood with 1 year old down, recently split oak to get by ( pain in the arse). Will this be seasoned enough to burn like it should next winter? That would be 2 years down, 1 year split/stacked. What is some faster seasoning wood I could cut now and burn next year?
I live in mississippi so it's pretty hot here during the summer. Thanks for any input

Welcome to the forum Rebelduckman.

In your area, it might be ready in 2 years but still, that area tends to be a high moisture area so 3 years are best.

Sorry but I am not familiar with the types of trees you have in your area. In our area we would certainly look strongly at soft maple and white ash.

Reactions: Hills Hoard
Welcome to the forum Rebelduckman.

In your area, it might be ready in 2 years but still, that area tends to be a high moisture area so 3 years are best.

Sorry but I am not familiar with the types of trees you have in your area. In our area we would certainly look strongly at soft maple and white ash.

Thanks, glad to be here!

Ash is pretty plentiful but not maple.
I shouldn't have a problem finding some ash. We have around 150 acres to cut from.
We have mostly: yellow pine, oak(pin oak, white oak, post oak, red oak), hickory, sweet gum, beech, ash

Other then the ash, which one would dry the quickest?

Yellow pine, beech and hickory.

Almost anything else besides the oak. Focus on ash and maples. Mix in pine. Pines will be dry for sure after split and stacked for a year.

Get the yellow pine going good and throw in some ash . Get as much as you can and leave the oak to the wind another year or so.

The first few years for people new to burning are really tough!!.....I was lucky to have some Australian Blackwood on my property when we moved in that had to come down....I split and stacked out in the open and was burning the next year. not ideal, but it worked....I had quite a bit left over for the following winter and it was fantastic to burn by then...

The first few years for people new to burning are really tough!!.....I was lucky to have some Australian Blackwood on my property when we moved in that had to come down....I split and stacked out in the open and was burning the next year. not ideal, but it worked....I had quite a bit left over for the following winter and it was fantastic to burn by then...

Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. It's frustrating now but I'm gonna get things organized and in another year or so I'll be set. I'll be a lifer with the wood burning

Last edited:
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Thanks for all the suggestions y'all. It's frustrating now but I'm gonna get things organized and in another year or so I'll be set. I'll be a lifer with the wood burning
wow, I didn't know it got cold enough in Mississippi to burn wood....lol.
Welcome to the forum.....sharpen you saw, grap a chain and don't forget your maul.;)

wow, I didn't know it got cold enough in Mississippi to burn wood....lol.
Welcome to the forum.....sharpen you saw, grap a chain and don't forget your maul.;)

Haha! I have electric heat and I'm tired of paying outrageous bills. I fire up every chance I get! I love it! It's normally not that bad here but it's been rough this year. That 5° Week before last with 70% humidity was bone chilling! We're not used to that! Normal highs range in the high 40's, low 50's and lows in the upper 20's, low 30's.

Not so sure about hickory drying quickly. The hickory I have takes 3 years just as oak.

Status
Not open for further replies.