Season 13 begins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
1697676293631.jpeg

Season 13 began October 10th. Short batch fires when needed to keep the oil from turning on.

13th with the stoves here, as well. Missing the crackle and smell of my open fireplaces, but can't argue with the comfort and burn time of the stoves!

Between what I've burned and what I have stacked outside right now, I guess I've split and stacked about 150 cords of wood in the last 12 years. !!!

Reactions: Gasifier
My Econoburn with start it's 15th season around Halloween.
Weather is still fall like,bur it's supposed to hit -20 C at night this weekend

This will be our 16th season. Jut running oil right now but that'll change soon. Have the wood shed stuffed to the gills(as they say), cleaned the boiler and the chimney weeks ago so we are ready for a cold one if it happens. Just got the snow plow tranny rebuilt and will check on the snowblower when the rain stops, then we'll be as ready as we can be I guess.

Reactions: hobbyheater
I plan to kick off year three with the vapor fire tomorrow night or Wednesday morning. I brought wood into the basement on Saturday and the thermometer was reading 82, this year will be different for me due to back surgery 3 months ago but the surgeon gave me the green light to at least burn this year, fortunately I cut and stacked around 5-6 cords of wood last year and have at least 8 that’s ready to burn.

I will be starting my 43rd season. I installed a Tarm MB 55 Solo in 1980 when I built my house. The Tarm has been maintenance free other than replacing the sensor in the Samson draft regulator. I have had no water leaks from the boiler. It heats as well today as it did in 1980. Most on this forum frown on my Tarm and call it a "Smoke Dragon". It works fine for me. After 43 years, I am experienced with my house heat load vs. outdoor temperature. As such, I load the MB 55 with the right amount of wood for a burn that has the air control damper open with a minimum of throttling back and closing off the damper.

3rd season here with my Econoburn. Fired it up yesterday out here. Always heated with a wood stove until I found out about gassifiers.

Fired for the first time yesterday. -5c and some snow was the trigger. Burned a lot of old half rotten softwood to get the tanks up to temp. Now I have a sticky zone valve and non- working zone valve motor to deal with.

this year will be different for me due to back surgery 3 months ago but the surgeon gave me the green light to at least burn this year, fortunately I cut and stacked around 5-6 cords of wood last year and have at least 8 that’s ready to burn.
And that is yet another reason for people to get on the 3 yr plan, if they aren't already! 👍