Sealing underground line to wood foundation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grovenburg

Dec 9, 2011
[email protected]
Hello,

I'm in the process of installing a Econoburn Boiler and I'm running 150 of Logstor from a pole building to my house. I have a finished basement with a wood foundation and concrete floors. Any idea's how I should seal the Logstor line to the hole I need to bore in the wall in the basement? All the instructions I've read deal with concrete, not wood.

Thanks.

The sealing process should be the same. Plenty of foundation coating sealing the intersection of the logstor with the foundation. You wont want/need to attach the pipe to the exterior of the foundation if thats where you were going. Dont be shy about it, get good long rubber gloves & butter the connection up real well. Careful on the backfill in that area so you dont damage the seal you just made.

Man you must be WAY up north. Here in the humid, buggy South we have concrete foundations and wood floors. Yup... what Frozen said... Just couldn't resist chiming in when I saw the word "underground". Best wishes.

Would that clay-based stuff typically used for electrical penetrations (ie, monkey shat) also be appropriate to backup the sealer?

From what I've read with a concrete foundation you run the line through a seal and seal the hole with concrete. What sealant would I use for wood?

Foundation coating. Thick tar like goo in a pail. You can go higher end to an elastomeric foundation coating if you wish. Trowel in/on or place by hand (wear gloves).

A very good thing to do is to try and get the actual penetration point at least a foot or so above the level of the trench, especially if you're working in clay soils. In areas where the soil is very "nonporous" I have recommended to people that they run another trench with a drain tube from the low point of the main trench out to a location where water can safely perk away. If needed, put some pea stone or something similar in the bottom of the second trench. The object is to provide a path away from the foundation for water may get into the main trench.

As far as sealing the hole itself, we run the whole tube through the wall and size the hole so the jacket and all will fit snugly. Then regular foundation coating (tar/mastic or whatever it's called locally) the dickens out of it to seal it up......2 or 3 coats won't hurt. Just make sure whatever coating you use is rated for underground use.

Be careful to keep the coating/sealant from getting on the pex itself. Petro based chemicals and pex should never be in contact with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.