Scrounge and some ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
I stopped by a house with some bucked up rounds sitting in the yard today and was told I could take all I like, and theres more fallen trees out back :cool:

Anyways, I loaded up and got it all home so here are some pics. It seems to me that there may be two types of wood here? The one with darker heartwood and lighter sapwood was a bit harder to split than the other piece, but still not difficult. The other piece smelled a bit like red oak when split, but also like peppermint;lol

Im thinking red and white oak?

Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help

That would be Walnut for sure on the right pic.

Yep, top right is black walnut. The other pictures would be easier to I.D. if they were split.

I've looked until my eyes fell out and I don't see any Walnut....the split piece on the right is definitely Oak, and the split piece on the left is either Oak or Hickory, in my opinion-I had some wood that looked just like that and I believe it was Hickory. Either way you've got great stuff there!

And I'm GLAD to see someone else using their Bronco as a "woodhauler"!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: nrford
The pictures after the split pic are just to show the end grain and bark of the two splits so its the same wood.

Are you guys thinking the split on the left in the pictures of the splits is walnut or the one on the right?

And PA- I love hauling wood with that thing! It's a 94 with the 351

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Okay, I'll bow to and salute those with more experience than I. I've about 4 cord of white oak and not a piece of it looks like the top right split; which goes to show you that the same species of wood coming from different areas can look much different. The bark on the 2 rounds on the bottom right does look white oak. On my computer the picture of the end grain on the bottom left is too washed out for me to see any rays. Sorry for the misinformation. ;em

Ill try to get some better pics in the morning those ones are a little blurry

Reactions: nrford
There is no walnut there for sure. I see a piece of Ash, what looks to be Soft Maple, and............. I'll wait for better pics!

Reactions: paul bunion
I split chestnut oak and the left piece has the same characteristics. Your wood is not chestnut but probably some type of white oak.
I dont cut my white oaks, so I cant say quercus alba but it looks to me like white. And the dead standing will burn in one year.
The pics are too blurry for any half serious id on the other split.

I agree with ford, top right looks like no Walnut I ever split. The Walnut I have has no light sapwood and the bark looks too thin. I may be wrong and I often am, but I two of those top right pcs kind of look like Hickory to me, but prolly isnt. I Have split some Maple that looks like those though..

Okay heres some hopefully better pics. To clarify, from what I can tell (which may not mean much), this pile has 2 different kinds of wood

Mystery wood #1:

Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help

Mystery wood #2:

Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help Scrounge and some ID help

Do these help?

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
We just split up a bunch that looks like the bottom one. The guy said it was a pin oak that he planted with his dad about 60 yrs ago.

I'm sticking with my intital call, #1 is Hickory, #2 some sort of Oak. If you smell the fresh splits I'll bet the 2nd one has a more stronger almost vinegary smell to it while the first one might smell more like manure....

Now that you know that I'm sure you're racing out to smell those GREAT aromas! ==c ;lol

EXCELLENT pictures by the way!

Last edited:
#2 has the distinctive vinegary red oak smell (is it strange if I happen to like it?)

Wood #1 in the small rounds really didnt have a distinctive smell when split but, I just hauled back the big 20"+ rounds that go along with wood #1 and when they split they also smell like vinegar

So I'm thinking both of these woods are some type of oak

In any case, I hope its something good cause Ive got a bunch in the yard now!

Status
Not open for further replies.