Screw broke on inside of door holding glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

troy-pit

Sep 13, 2015
Everett WA
I broke two screws in my cast iron door that hold the glass in place. It is pacific energy. Seems like I can not remove old screws and need to tap and put new screws or drill and put some self tapping screws. Any advice on type of screw and what route I should go.

Drill out using a small enough bit so you don't hit the existing threads. Also mark the depth you want to go on the bit with some masking tape so you don't go too far in. What's left after you drill should come out fairly easily with a small pick If it's rusted in there good drill the width of the screw an re-tap with one size bigger if you have the room. Just my thoughts.

Exactly what kevin weis said.

I keep a full set of left hand bits for this task. Most of the time the fastener spins itself out before I’m even done the drilling. Learned this trick from an old engine mechanic.

Reactions: begreen and edyit
Left hand bits are amazing for this type of fix. Use them often when working on hydrants that have seen 30 years of road salt....

Reactions: begreen
Thanks for the replies. I can probably do what has been suggested but it seems like the cast iron is difficult to tap. I heard that self tapping screws were used. I was given zinc coated self tapping screws from hardware store and I am concerned they may not hold up to the heat. The previous screws seemed like they were self tapping screws of a durable metal. I contacted pacific energy to get a hold of them and they have not responded. I am really not happy with their customer service or lack of.

Left hand bits are amazing for this type of fix. Use them often when working on hydrants that have seen 30 years of road salt....
I used a left hand bit when drilling out the frozen bolts on the F602. It's a pretty slick trick.

Cast iron is not hard to tap if you drill in straight and slightly undersized. All you are doing it cleaning up the threads with the tap. Be sure to get a flat-bottom tap for this.