Schrock coal stove quit shaking.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nov 30, 2016
Mansfield, ohio
Hello, have had good luck with my Schrock coal stove until the last couple of days. It is similar to a hitzer in design. My shaker lever isn’t moving much and the ash isn’t falling out. The coals keep turning gray around the edges. I think the grate is warped or stuck.

So I took my poker and poked down the the grate in multiple places, and then took the ash pan out and poked up from the bottom. I have done this repeatedly with no luck.

There is still a fire if I leave the bottom door open, but not much. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Hello, have had good luck with my Schrock coal stove until the last couple of days. It is similar to a hitzer in design. My shaker lever isn’t moving much and the ash isn’t falling out. The coals keep turning gray around the edges. I think the grate is warped or stuck.

So I took my poker and poked down the the grate in multiple places, and then took the ash pan out and poked up from the bottom. I have done this repeatedly with no luck.

There is still a fire if I leave the bottom door open, but not much. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Shovel all of the coal out and find out what is jambing it.

Reactions: Oldcoldstonehouse
Let it burn all night and run out of coal. Have taken out two buckets of ash. Still jammed. Many unburned pieces in the back left corner behind the hopper. Big firebox. Hard to shovel around the hopper. Grate is open. Will update. Thank you for your suggestion.

Great advice. It was jammed in the left front corner. Took out about five buckets of ash and unburned coal. It takes all evening to get a fire going but started it back up last night. Before I had to shake it 200 times a day but now the lever is shaking it more smoothly, evenly, and effectively. I think it is running more efficiently overall.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Great advice. It was jammed in the left front corner. Took out about five buckets of ash and unburned coal. It takes all evening to get a fire going but started it back up last night. Before I had to shake it 200 times a day but now the lever is shaking it more smoothly, evenly, and effectively. I think it is running more efficiently overall.
I burn coal too , most times when I have a jam It will Clear itself with a hotter burn .