Scavenge wood or go fishing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Headed out early to do some fishing when I spotted this pile the country dropped at one of their burn spots. Looked like alot of blackjack in there, figured the fish could just wait another day.

This burn pile was right by the road.
[Hearth.com] Scavenge wood or go fishing?

Taking a peek to see whats hiding in there.
[Hearth.com] Scavenge wood or go fishing? [Hearth.com] Scavenge wood or go fishing?

Time to go get the trailer and some help. I think I want this.

Pulled out the easy ones.

[Hearth.com] Scavenge wood or go fishing? [Hearth.com] Scavenge wood or go fishing?

I'm debating on that big heavy thing in the back....

Sure, why not. I aint scared.

Chains getting dull, some of these were caked in mud from the county pushing them up in the pile, time to load up and head home. And its starting to get hot out, 97 for the high today, and the humidity sucks like usual.

Not bad for a couple hours work.

Looks good! I see stuff every day and have to remind myself that's not what we're doing today. Had a storm blow thru a few days ago. My neighbors collected anything worth burning and are waiting for me to come get it. I just have to tell myself there's more closer to home!

Reactions: fishki and Jeffm1

Good job, looks like some nice wood! Around here about the only thing that nice is Pacific Madrone. Actually Madrone is a bit better than Red Oak in that it's usually easier splitting and slightly more btu's but it's quite scarce. I haven't had any to burn for three or four years so I'm envious of your load!

I do have a GIANT Madrone in my yard (about 12 feet from where we sleep). It's the second biggest Madrone I've ever seen. Of course my wife would kill me if I cut it down so it just sits there getting bigger every year. I have to make do with an occasional branch or two that might come down after a big storm.

Reactions: fishki
Headed out early to do some fishing when I spotted this pile the country dropped at one of their burn spots. Looked like alot of blackjack in there, figured the fish could just wait another day.

View attachment 198073

View attachment 198074 View attachment 198075

View attachment 198076 View attachment 198077

View attachment 198078

View attachment 198079 View attachment 198080

Chains getting dull, some of these were caked in mud from the county pushing them up in the pile, time to load up and head home. And its starting to get hot out, 97 for the high today, and the humidity sucks like usual.

View attachment 198081

You definitely made the right choice. That stuff will burn much better than fish! ;);lol

Reactions: Hasufel and fishki
Good job, looks like some nice wood! Around here about the only thing that nice is Pacific Madrone. Actually Madrone is a bit better than Red Oak in that it's usually easier splitting and slightly more btu's but it's quite scarce. I haven't had any to burn for three or four years so I'm envious of your load!

I do have a GIANT Madrone in my yard (about 12 feet from where we sleep). It's the second biggest Madrone I've ever seen. Of course my wife would kill me if I cut it down so it just sits there getting bigger every year. I have to make do with an occasional branch or two that might come down after a big storm.

I had to look that tree up on google, those things look solid! Wish I had a couple growing in my yard, I like the way they look but doubt it would survive long in kansas :)

i have to disagree !!!! my program is to cut wood balls to the wall in winter time and then in spring/summer you can do your fishing, turkey hunting, morrell gathering ect. . .

Trust me, it was a tough decision, but after seeing what was in the pile I couldn't resist ;lol

Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
I had to look that tree up on google, those things look solid! Wish I had a couple growing in my yard, I like the way they look but doubt it would survive long in kansas :)

You're right. They are known to grow within 100 miles of salt water but it's much more common to see them within 5 miles of the coast.

Trust me, it was a tough decision, but after seeing what was in the pile I couldn't resist ;lol

Ha! I don't blame you. I wouldn't have been able to resist wood like that either!

Reactions: HisTreeNut

OK, I took some measurements and photos of the giant Pacific Madrone in my yard that I can't cut down without creating a domestic situation. Maybe it will succumb to storm winds:

That's 11' - 10-1/2" when measured above the wider butt! I wonder how many cords we have here...

There's a lot of nice wood hiding in that upper canopy. If it falls down in my lifetime I'll have the best wood supply I've ever squirrelled away! This is right next to our house built in 1957. We are the third owners. The second owners had heard this tree was the defining landmark of this residential lot before the houses were built. Around 1955 the soon-to-be first owner marched into the land sales office and announced "I'll take that lot with the giant Madrone tree on it!".

View attachment 198073

View attachment 198074 View attachment 198075

View attachment 198076 View attachment 198077

View attachment 198078

View attachment 198079 View attachment 198080

View attachment 198081

Nice score there...you can always go fishing another day...

Reactions: fishki
OK, I took some measurements and photos of the giant Pacific Madrone in my yard that I can't cut down without creating a domestic situation. Maybe it will succumb to storm winds:

View attachment 198127

View attachment 198128
That's 11' - 10-1/2" when measured above the wider butt! I wonder how many cords we have here... View attachment 198129
There's a lot of nice wood hiding in that upper canopy. If it falls down in my lifetime I'll have the best wood supply I've ever squirrelled away! This is right next to our house built in 1957. We are the third owners. The second owners had heard this tree was the defining landmark of this residential lot before the houses were built. Around 1955 the soon-to-be first owner marched into the land sales office and announced "I'll take that lot with the giant Madrone tree on it!".

That tree is HUGE, almost 4' diameter where you measured. How tall do you estimate it to be? Makes me wonder how old it is, especially if it was a big tree 60 years ago.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
That tree is HUGE, almost 4' diameter where you measured. How tall do you estimate it to be? Makes me wonder how old it is, especially if it was a big tree 60 years ago.

As a rough guess, I would say it's 90-110 feet tall. I should measure it by triangulation. It must be around 150 years old. I've seen it claimed that Madrone can live up to 150 years but I'm sure the oldest are considerably older than that. Madrone is Canada's only native evergreen deciduous tree. I think they have a sort of anti-freeze in their leaves that allows them to retain their leaves through hard freezes.

I'll have to buy a new saw if it falls over because my longest bar is 20" and that will leave substantial wood uncut, even after attacking the trunk all the way around the perimeter. One time I took two 18" slabs off a cedar stump having a diameter of 4 feet using a 20" bar but that was only possible because the trunk had big flukes and by pivoting the saw back and forth between the flukes the bar tip was able to reach the center. That was a real workout for the little Stihl 026 but it didn't complain a bit, it acted like the little engine that could. I didn't even need to insert my wedges because the slabs were supported by a bed of saw chips and slid right off with a decent push. Of course Madrone is a much harder wood.

I would have went fishing. 97 degree days are meant for water, not wood gathering.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Fishing defiantly FISHING