Scary!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
JotulOwner said:
http://www.endtimesreport.com/chimney_cleaning.html

I sure hope you read the entire page where Marge Padgitt, Educational Director,Midwest Chimney Safety Council refutes the original post.

Shari

Idiots that burn green wood and use chimney fires to clean their flues will be with us forever. Well, individually they won't live long but the supply of them seems endless.

With any luck the advent of the Internet and Craig's hosting of this site will continue to go far in preventing some of this garbage from being perpetuated as truth/gospel.

If you're reading the "End Times Report" and you think there's something authoritative about it, then why are you worried about the condition of your chimney? Shouldn't you be preparing yourself for the Rapture or the coming of the Comet, or something? Once a month intentional chimney fires? Please, this kind of crap doesn't even belong here. (ETA: IMO) Rick

KUDO"s to madge for refuting this silly ideal of a "controlled" chimney fire. had the OP in the article operated his stove correctly he wouldnt have had the sticky goo he describes. this comes from not maintaining flue temps above the 212F temperature which keeps water (a byproduct of a wood fire) in a gassious state until it exits the flue. most times this is caused by choking down a fire in a non-reburn type pre-epa stove to drag out as long a burn time as possible. other causes include improperly sealed pipes, negative pressure from tight houses and no air supply from outside, having a woodstove connected to too large a diameter flue, and leaking cleanout doors on masonary flues.

IMHBLO there is no reason anyone should EVER intentionally induce a flue fire, the damage that can be caused from one may not be easily seen by the layman, unless you can effectively clean your flue using conventional methods, call a certified sweep.

fossil said:
If you're reading the "End Times Report" and you think there's something authoritative about it, then why are you worried about the condition of your chimney? Shouldn't you be preparing yourself for the Rapture or the coming of the Comet, or something? Once a month intentional chimney fires? Please, this kind of crap doesn't even belong here. Rick

actually rick, im glad the OP posted it to allow the pro's like yourself and others to properly refute it .should someone pop in and read the thread. sometimes its good to expose bad advice by airing it for proper rebuttal, good point by shari as well noting that the obviously flawed idea was refuted in the same link. i think the "condemnation of this practice by this forum should be passed by unanimous consent" <banging gavel> :coolgrin:

fossil said:
If you're reading the "End Times Report" and you think there's something authoritative about it, then why are you worried about the condition of your chimney? Shouldn't you be preparing yourself for the Rapture or the coming of the Comet, or something? Once a month intentional chimney fires? Please, this kind of crap doesn't even belong here. Rick

As wonderful as internet searches are, they don't always lead you to things you want to read. I was searching for a brush. Imagine some poor bas*&$d looking to clean his (or her) chimney. Instead of buying a brush, they are buying a new house.

stoveguy2esw said:
fossil said:

actually rick, im glad the OP posted it to allow the pro's like yourself and others to properly refute it .should someone pop in and read the thread. sometimes its good to expose bad advice by airing it for proper rebuttal, good point by shari as well noting that the obviously flawed idea was refuted in the same link. i think the "condemnation of this practice by this forum should be passed by unanimous consent" <banging gavel> :coolgrin:

Agreed, Mike...I edited my post accordingly, and will await the verdict of the larger body. (Craig, of course :p ) Rick

JotulOwner said:
fossil said:

As wonderful as internet searches are, they don't always lead you to things you want to read. I was searching for a brush. Imagine some poor bas*&$d looking to clean his (or her) chimney. Instead of buying a brush, they are buying a new house.

Yeah, sorry I came a bit unglued. You might have dropped just a bit of a hint in the thread title...like "Scary what some people actually believe", or something like that. Again, I apologize. I'd love to chat, but I have to go out and touch up my crop circles...you never know when they might be read. Rick

fossil said:
JotulOwner said:
fossil said:

Yeah, sorry I came a bit unglued. You might have dropped just a bit of a hint in the thread title...like "Scary what some people actually believe", or something like that. Again, I apologize. I'd love to chat, but I have to go out and touch up my crop circles...you never know when they might be read. Rick

I have to apologize too. I thought the heading was enough, but it obviously wasn't. I suppose it is a lesson learned, but I am glad you made it clear before someone got the wrong message.

fossil said:
Agreed, Mike...I edited my post accordingly, and will await the verdict of the larger body. (Craig, of course :p ) Rick

I think he just said that Craig was fat.

In any case just think of the whole thing as small price of having free speech. Like stove guy said, bring the various issues out in the open for review and sooner or later we will arrive at a better understanding.

Back to OP, I can remember as a kid folks burnt what ever wood they could get and I can remember my mother trying to set the flue on fire to clean it out. We have came a long way since then. Let the ideas continue to flow.

Ratman said:
Nice...
Crap on anything you don't understand.
I happen to like the site.
Whatever...

wasnt a slam on the site itself (at least not from me, i havent visited it) but ive always believed you fight bad info with good info. i disagree strongly with the practice of deliberate flue fires, so i disagree with the linked article. i have no opinion on the "endtimesreport" site in general as i have not been there. sorry if i didnt differentiate, hope this clears it up.

BJ64 said:
fossil said:
Back to OP, I can remember as a kid folks burnt what ever wood they could get and I can remember my mother trying to set the flue on fire to clean it out. We have came a long way since then. Let the ideas continue to flow.

a great point BJ, however, technology and knowlege in the "art" for lack of a better word, of woodburning are making such practices (which are inherently dangerous) obsolete. as a guest in here i do not want to sound like im speaking for the administrator(web) but as an industry member and manufacturer (not to mention, the guy folks who have an issue call to find out what to do) i applaud web for giving us the forum to challenge articles such as this for the public good, and also applaud my fellow collegues for taking the time to lend their expertise on their time for the same public good. nobody wants a safe experience for everyone in woodburning more than the pro's who hang in here.

fossil, thats funny,

OP , glad you took the time to post the article, the title alone caught my attention. and you hit the nail on the head in post # 6

rat , i dont think anyone was intentionally dissing the site in general on purpose, rather the single post brought forth.

Ratman said:
Nice...
Whatever...

It's not at all difficult to understand. Rick

Ratman said:
Nice...
Whatever...

I should have read fossils appology for his slam (on what I perceived as more than a slam of the website) before posting.
My bad.

Was this practice more common 15 or 20 years ago? I ask because my cousin would allow a chimney fire a couple times a year. Of course when he told me I tried to explain how dangerous it is, but he is a lot older and shrugged it off saying he only does it when there is snow on the roof. I guess u can educate, but u cannot control there actions.

As I type this, I am burning a controlled fire in my Class A using: green wood, advertising slicks, kerosene, whale blubber, and a chimney sweeping log. I am additionally using a MAGIC HEAT to distribute the room heat more effectively, of course. Not only will this clean my Class A, but it will also, much to the pleasure of Al Gore, result in fewer named storms in the Atlantic hurricane season in 2010. :lol:

Pagey said:
As I type this, I am burning a controlled fire in my Class A using: green wood, advertising slicks, kerosene, whale blubber, and a chimney sweeping log. I am additionally using a MAGIC HEAT to distribute the room heat more effectively, of course. Not only will this clean my Class A, but it will also, much to the pleasure of Al Gore, result in fewer named storms in the Atlantic hurricane season in 2010. :lol:

Thank you for your service.

Pagey said:

Now if you were pan frying a bald eagle in baby seal oil on top of that Endeavor, you would really have the MoJo in motion. :lol:

Jags said:
Pagey said:

Now if you were pan frying a bald eagle in baby seal oil on top of that Endeavor, you would really have the MoJo in motion. :lol:

PERFECTION!

Jags said:
Pagey said:

I thought we were using condars . . . I mean condors in place of the bald eagles. ;) :)

Pagey said:

We don't even want to know where you put the log.
:)

Pagey said:
Chimney is now clean!

I felt the disturbance in the force. Good job. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.