Sauna Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willb

Mar 14, 2016
CA
Does anyone have any experience with Sauna stoves? The general principle of heating a sauna it to do it as quickly as possible with a blast of heat. After all you are just going to use if for an hour or so and then the heat is no longer required. A sauna stove should burn hot, like a barrel stove, as opposed to a home stove which I assume will burn less hot but over a longer period of time. I am curious if anyone has any thoughts or experience in this area. (or if anyone understands the question!) Thanks

Dry or steam? Are you looking for advice on specific models, or more general advice?

I've looked into it some in the past and it seems that in general, new electric models are favored, but I suppose the specific use would be important. But that's all I got...

Like the Finns, we built a simple 8'X8' garden shed with the most popular stove on earth as the sauna heater: the JOTUL 602 in porcelain green.
No need for a 'special' sauna stove unless you want steam from heated rocks. The steaming can be done with a thick cast pan on top of the 602 ( or any small wood stove) , the right stones that won't explode, and H20 poured over the hot rocks.
K.I.S.S.
P.S. Rule #1- - mandatory nude.
Rule #2 - - snow or cold nearby water.
Rule #3 - - no political discussion during the sauna.

I built a wood fired sauna back in the late '80's in Seattle. At the time, you could still buy those china-made cast iron stoves. It looked like the pic below. I could get my sauna up to temps in about a half hour or so. Even back then I knew I needed dry and well seasoned wood, and it usually didn't take very long for the stove to get hot.

Since it was Seattle, it got dark in the winter around 4 Pm or so, I would run the stove so hot, I could see it get start getting a dark cherry red on the sides. My hottest temps were 250 degrees, as measured by two stove thermometers for about 20 minutes. If I tried that today, it would kill me!

Sauna Stove

Dry or steam? Are you looking for advice on specific models, or more general advice?

I've looked into it some in the past and it seems that in general, new electric models are favored, but I suppose the specific use would be important. But that's all I got...

Apologies, more in terms of general advice. I have a wood fired sauna and I am thinking about replacing the stove. The current stove a re purposed interior wood stove and while it has served me well it is breaking down from the water and heat. I have removed the interior bricks to increase the interior dimensions and to increase the heat released.

Like the Finns, we built a simple 8'X8' garden shed with the most popular stove on earth as the sauna heater: the JOTUL 602 in porcelain green.
No need for a 'special' sauna stove unless you want steam from heated rocks. The steaming can be done with a thick cast pan on top of the 602 ( or any small wood stove) , the right stones that won't explode, and H20 poured over the hot rocks.
K.I.S.S.
P.S. Rule #1- - mandatory nude.
Rule #2 - - snow or cold nearby water.
Rule #3 - - no political discussion during the sauna.
hmm, did not know about rule #3!

Give them a call or email and ask if there are any CA dealers
1-800-358-2049 , 218-753-2330
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.