Said goodbye to the good old Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Happy to say I did get back anything I invested into the stove. Sold for 550 delivered/setup. Nice older fella bought the stove. That stove was a firewood burner! And a hot piece of iron. Darn Hearth members talking me into a new stove!!! I will miss her.

I miss pretty much every car I ever had. What is up with that? (dang nice of you to do the delivery/setup for the buyer :) ).

I'll miss my fisher 1 or 2 days per winter where that old beast could simply put out more btu's in a 24 hr period than this 30 can. But, for the other 200+ days in the heating season, this new stove beats that fisher in every regard.

Hope you end up feeling the same or better about your upgrade.

pen

Got a fire burning in my old one at the back of the yard as I type. Just can't let it go. But I don't miss it in the house.

Good that you got the dough out of the Defiant and good on ya for doing the install.

I keep my eyes on constant alert for a 5700. I will find one someday or just breakdown and get the new one. The 30 is fine, but it is a knife at a gun fight for my needs. I have 20 cords of 22-24 inch wood that has to be recut for the 30. That alone keeps me lookin'. The fella that bought the stove was nice. From the go he said he wanted the stove and wasn't going to bicker about bucks. I had no problem bringing the stove in for him and did my best to provide a 10 minute crash course on all I have learned running that stove and picking the brains of so many here. Even let him in on the site. Might be readin' this now?? I initially claimed the stove saved me thousands in the two years I had it. Then I started with the math on the splitter, the 2 saws, the pipe, blah blah blah. It did me a world of good to have that stove.

The 30 is fine, but it is a knife at a gun fight for my needs. I have 20 cords of 22-24 inch wood that has to be recut for the 30. That alone keeps me lookin'.

Ouch. The first year with the 30 I only had six cord of 24" that I had to whack. Get up, reload stove, go out and whack the ends off of today's wood. Do it again tomorrow. I can't imagine doing it to 20+ cords either.

I if I had that much too long, I'd make a cutting jig and saw the stuff right in half. That 30 will run no matter how you wind up making it fit in there.

ETA: Been in this position once. At 16, I was the luckiest kid (as history proved since I didn't get killed) that I took a job as a caretaker of a property. After knowing me for a few days, I had the keys to 3 jaguars, a 67 GTO, a brand new chevy truck, and a long to-do list. One of the items (cut as much firewood as possible). The owner was gone for the vast majority of the first 6-12 mo's I worked for him (he was on every continent in that time period). When he came back, the only complaint was the firewood. I grew up cutting / splitting wood for a fisher stove that could swallow 2 foot splits. This stove (I think it was a napoleon) would only take up to 18 inch :( I thought I crossed my t's and dotted every i, but wasn't wise enough yet to realize that different stoves took different sized wood and never even thought to measure that thing.

I cut everything I had done in 1/2 with a jig I made up, and from then on out, 12 inch wood was all he ever wanted for that stove! He loved having the ability to load it in any which way shape or form.

I miss pretty much every car I ever had. What is up with that? (dang nice of you to do the delivery/setup for the buyer :) ).

Ha, I thought I was the only one that felt that way. I remember them all, most fondly, though there were a couple I'd like to forget, even they had redeeming properties. Heck I just like driving different vehicles.

Reactions: pen
Every car I ever had was the very best car I had (at the time). Interestingly (although perhaps not at all surprisingly), when I think back, it seems to me as though there's an inverse relationship between how new/fancy/cool/capable/fast/whatever my cars were as compared with how much I valued them, the fun I remember having in them, and the freedom and thrill they provided.

Yes, a lot of my cars were far from new. That really didn't matter.

Just opened a thread in the Inglenook on this topic to avoid further derailment.

I keep my eyes on constant alert for a 5700. I will find one someday or just breakdown and get the new one. The 30 is fine, but it is a knife at a gun fight for my needs. I have 20 cords of 22-24 inch wood that has to be recut for the 30. That alone keeps me lookin'. The fella that bought the stove was nice. From the go he said he wanted the stove and wasn't going to bicker about bucks. I had no problem bringing the stove in for him and did my best to provide a 10 minute crash course on all I have learned running that stove and picking the brains of so many here. Even let him in on the site. Might be readin' this now?? I initially claimed the stove saved me thousands in the two years I had it. Then I started with the math on the splitter, the 2 saws, the pipe, blah blah blah. It did me a world of good to have that stove.
I'm interested to see how the 30 compares to the big old Defiant. Cuz that was a big damn stove. I had the Vigilant up until mid-last winter and that was a hell of a heater. Could not imagine what the old Defiant was like.

The new Defiant that I have doesn't have the searing heat that the Vigilant had when it was running hot, but the new Defiant actually does a better job of heating a larger area. Hopefully the 30 will offer comparable heat to the old Defiant.

One thing I do not miss is the 5 hour loading cycle. No matter how much wood I stuffed in its belly, 5 hours later it wanted more.

Still running my old Defiant III. Hoping that it's big enough for me to be buried in. Make a hell of a coffin, but prolly have to "whack my ends off".

I'm interested to see how the 30 compares to the big old Defiant. Cuz that was a big damn stove. I had the Vigilant up until mid-last winter and that was a hell of a heater. Could not imagine what the old Defiant was like.

The new Defiant that I have doesn't have the searing heat that the Vigilant had when it was running hot, but the new Defiant actually does a better job of heating a larger area. Hopefully the 30 will offer comparable heat to the old Defiant.

One thing I do not miss is the 5 hour loading cycle. No matter how much wood I stuffed in its belly, 5 hours later it wanted more.
There has been a couple threads I posted regarding the comparison and operation of these two stoves; Defiant and 30. Long and short is the heat comparison is quite different; Defiant was much hotter. As just posted, the burn times are different. All in all, the idea was to get the most out of the wood. The 30 does that. The 5700 should be closer to the Defiant in output with the benefit of longer burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.