Safe to put rockwool around insert to quiet fan?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chilly81

Oct 30, 2020
Connecticut
I have a small Napolean 1101 insert - small stove in a small fireplace it just barely fits within spec. I actually like that it sticks out farther this way than an insert often does.

Anyway, the stove is working great, but the only negative is that the fan is a little louder than I'd like. It pulls air in from the front at ground level on both sides, you can see the little grates. That routes around back and is recirculated up the back and across the top and out right below that full front lip. Works great but is kind of noisy. I know that stuffing the back area with rockwool, or at least wrapping all the ducting sheetmetal and the blower would help a bit with acoustics. I'd probably end up having to wrap some of the stove itself too though, and I'm wondering if that could be bad for the stove - maybe overheating or something?

I don't see anything in the manual about it. Also, I'm not worried about the rockwool itself combusting or anything. Just wondering if it could negatively affect the stove.

Safe to put rockwool around insert to quiet fan?

As long as the insert does not overheat it should be ok.

Does the hot air come out from below the stovetop through a slot on this insert? If so, the stovetop temp is not an accurate measure. In this case, it's better to measure on the stove face above the door.

Reactions: chilly81
As long as the insert does not overheat it should be ok.

Does the hot air come out from below the stovetop through a slot on this insert? If so, the stovetop temp is not an accurate measure. In this case, it's better to measure on the stove face above the door.

That's a great point - can't believe i didn't consider that! Yes, it's a double top with an airspace between the real inside wall (1/4" plate) and the external top... slightly lighter gauge plate. I've been double checking things with a IR thermometer and it never dawned on me why the front face was hotter than the top.. .duh.

Figuring out where and how to read the temp on inserts is a common problem.

I have been considering using ceramic or rock wool around the back of and above my insert. In researching it I have come across health safety concerns of exposure to it, particularly in the lungs. Apparently fibers can become airborne and logged in the lungs much like asbestos has. I imagine that heat, heating and cooling exposure, air movements from my fans could increase the potential for releasing airborne particles. When used properly sealed walls, ceilings, etc. that would not be an issue. Apparently once logged in the lungs the fibers don't dissipate.
It is always difficult to be able to clearly evaluate these kind of risks.