Rutland Creosote Remover - smoke from chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey all. I used a few scoops of that Rutland creosote remover powder yesterday during my fire. I noticed today when looking outside that the chimney is smoking constantly now for a few hours. It appears my secondary air tubes are firing off still, and I'm using the same wood I've had stacked and covered all year, so a bit confused?

Does that creosote remover stuff cause smoking in the chimney? Maybe from the now-reacted creosote burning off? Just want to make sure it's safe. What else causes smoke from the chimney?

Stove is full and roaring away at 500F stove top temp. Wood is dry. Thanks

I use it several times a week. Never noticed smoke because of it.

A brush removes creosote.

Creosote modifiers modify tarry creosote so it's brushable.

The correct phrase for creosote burning off is "chimney fire".

Get a brush, it's cheaper than chemicals and will actually clean the flue.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it's the cold temps and snow fall that made it look steamy.

And yes I know it's no substitute. I sweep once a year but wanted to use this stuff the last month before I do sweep for the end of the season.