Rusty Jotul Oslo worth purchasing??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

davespider

Aug 16, 2020
NorthWest, MI
Longtime lurker, 1st time poster here...

I'm looking to change my current woodstove setup in our studio building.

I've been leaning towards a Jotul Oslo. I love their quality and looks. I came across this one on CL for $500 obo. Obviously there's a bit of surface rust, side door handle needs attention, window is a wee bit dirty, etc...but if the interior shows no cracks or rust and ends up being structurally sound, would it be worth making an offer on? It's not going in our home..but in a two story building where I have my office/workshop...so it doesn't have to be super pretty as long as it works correctly (and can be cleaned up a bit).
The seller said it was used in his garage.

Thanks for your sage advice.

Dave.

It's a REALLY good stove. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.
A wooden knob, a couple of washers & the side door handle is good to go.
The glass can be cleaned with "Speedy White."
A wire wheel, 2 cans of paint & some elbow grease will make it look new.
Replace the gaskets, hook it to your chimney & you're ready to feed that baby.
If you need the manual go here:

Reactions: davespider
The main area to inspect will be the base of the stove, inside, around the grate. Clear the area around the grate completely and wipe down with a damp towel so that you can see the metal. Look for spidery cracks in the base radiating out from the corners of the grate. Check the back around the flue collar for cracks too. If there are none, that is a good sign.

The price is right, so if no cracks I'd pick it up. With some elbow grease and a good quality stove paint like Stove Brite, it will look like a new stove again.

As mentioned be sure to check it over for cracks -- especially around the grate. I suspect a lot of that is surface rust and may be due to the folks having a pot of water on top to humidify the area.

Cleaned and examined Jotul better...No Cracks!!

Bought it for $400!

Damn...it's one heavy stove to unload by yourself! I'll start another thread with pics and details on stove restoration

Good deal! Congratulations. Be patient and do a good job of prep, cleaning, gasketing, and painting. It will look like a new stove.

It is a great stove with a little time and effort it will be like new.