Rust hole in the bottom of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Murray01

Aug 25, 2023
Saskatchewan
Pulled the stove pipe and stove pipe adapter off to inspect the bottom of the chimney and found a small hole in the stainless steel chimney. The contents between the inner liner and outer covering is a white powderish material. Wondering if I have to replace that piece of chimney or if a piece of foil tape to cover the hole would be enough to prevent anymore insulation from falling out. This wood stove was installed by my father-in-law at least 25 years ago and hasn’t ran in the last 15 years. The top of the wood stove has rusted from years of neglect and I’m trying to determine if it worth repairing/replacing or come up with another heat source.

Rust hole in the bottom of chimney Rust hole in the bottom of chimney

I'd have the whole flue system inspected. Who knows what more might have deteriorated.
No way to say if it's worth to do something without having the full pic of what needs to be done to make it safe and sound.

Pulled the stove pipe and stove pipe adapter off to inspect the bottom of the chimney and found a small hole in the stainless steel chimney. The contents between the inner liner and outer covering is a white powderish material. Wondering if I have to replace that piece of chimney or if a piece of foil tape to cover the hole would be enough to prevent anymore insulation from falling out. This wood stove was installed by my father-in-law at least 25 years ago and hasn’t ran in the last 15 years. The top of the wood stove has rusted from years of neglect and I’m trying to determine if it worth repairing/replacing or come up with another heat source. View attachment 329033View attachment 329034
What he said. That one spot isn't terribly concerning but there is likely other damage or waterlogged insulation

Thank you gentlemen for your replies. I will dismantle the chimney and inspect, I live in a rural area with no certified chimney sweeps in the area. It’s only 3 sections of chimney that has likely never been apart since install so hopefully it comes apart without difficulty.

Only 2 sections. Came apart easier than I expected.

Picture of the top of chimney portion thats goes through the roof, see post #1 for the bottom picture.

This next picture is the top piece of chimney, note the inner and outer sleeve have separated slightly.

So that makes both pieces with issues, both on the bottom of each chimney piece. I’m guessing I should replace both pieces?

Only 2 sections. Came apart easier than I expected.

Picture of the top of chimney portion thats goes through the roof, see post #1 for the bottom picture.

View attachment 329054

This next picture is the top piece of chimney, note the inner and outer sleeve have separated slightly.

View attachment 329055

So that makes both pieces with issues, both on the bottom of each chimney piece. I’m guessing I should replace both pieces?
Yeah probably safest to just replace them.

Regardless of what you put up, while you have it in your hands, caulk the vertical seam on the pipes that are sticking out above your roof with silicone caulk. They can leak, which would wet the insulation, and drip into your ceiling box. Better to just ensure that doesn't happen right from the start, saving a possible trip to the roof later.

Thank you for the replies. I suspected I should replace them, nice to get confirmation from people who have probably forgotten more than I’ll ever know about chimneys and wood stoves. Ceiling roof support is in good shape so I can salvage that. My next question is getting the correct/same chimney to sit in the ceiling support. If I bring the chimney to stove pipe adapter with me to the hardware store and can find a match then the new chimney will/should fit in the old original ceiling support?

I did find one compliance sticker sitting in the trim plate, no idea where it came from but I would assume it didn’t come from the trim plate.

Thank you for all your help.

650ºC is pretty low temp pipe. In the states this would not be legal or sold anymore. Canada usually has stiffer regs in this area so it would be good to check this out. It has me wondering if he put in ZC fireplace chimney pipe instead of High-Temp, class A, 2100º F (1150ºC) chimney pipe that is rated for wood stove use.

That label says it's gsw pipe,I had that and direct replacement was selkirk supervent.

Reactions: begreen
650ºC is pretty low temp pipe. In the states this would not be legal or sold anymore. Canada usually has stiffer regs in this area so it would be good to check this out. It has me wondering if he put in ZC fireplace chimney pipe instead of High-Temp, class A, 2100º F (1150ºC) chimney pipe that is rated for wood stove use.
What is ZC fireplace chimney? Anyway to tell the difference between Class A vs ZC chimney? I will be replacing both 36” long chimney pieces regardless with Class A.

Perhaps the sticker is from the trim plate? I assumed that a trim piece wouldn’t have a rating since it’s only decorative.

That is GSW chimney,I had that before and the alternative replacement that will match up is selkirk supervent as I previously posted