Running chimney through interior walls.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayPx

Sep 14, 2015
Ontario Canada
I live in Ontario Canada.
Currently heat with high efficiency propane furnace. Thinking it would be a good idea to supplement with a pellet stove in the basement.

Is it possible to run the chimney through an interior wall and then to an exterior wall or existing chimney?
***There is an existing chimney not being used that was used for oil furnace and before that a wood stove. Still would need to run through an interior basement wall.

I've googled around can't seem to find my answer.

I would think not

You would want to talk to someone with a WETT certification and your local building official. I can see a whole multitude of problems with what you are suggesting ... beyond penetrations through combustible materials there would be the length of the run.

No option of venting out an exterior wall?

You would want to talk to someone with a WETT certification and your local building official. I can see a whole multitude of problems with what you are suggesting ... beyond penetrations through combustible materials there would be the length of the run.

No option of venting out an exterior wall?

No option of venting out an exterior wall with the stove being in a open part of the basement. Not unless I go out the front of the house which i'm not willing to do.

My thoughts are well the chimney all ready goes through one wall (the exterior wall) why can't it go through an interior wall the same way it goes through an exterior wall. However I could see how you would not want drywall and 2x4 close to such a hot pipe.

The run would only be 5-8 feet more then the run of the old oil furnace had.

I've seen large interior runs of wood stove chimney in my area. They didn't go through an interior wall though. It was in a very large attached garage that went up 20 feet or so to the ceiling then ran at the top of the ceiling for like 30-40 feet then out the ceiling to the roof.

Which hey wouldn't going out a ceiling and then out the roof be very similar with what i'm looking into?

Still think you should contact a WETT inspector just to cover your backside with homeowners insurance. The vertical run is preferred to the horizontal as long horizontal runs will collect a fair bit of fly ash (results in higher EVL calculation too). How long total horizontal run are you contemplating? The venting would likely have to be 4" due to length of run with proper penetrations and clearances on your venting. Might want to hunt up an install manual for the venting you are contemplating.

Pellet stoves do produce fly ash so a different beast than an oil furnace...

Status
Not open for further replies.