Running Chimney 6' Horizontal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Busy_Bosco

Apr 23, 2020
West Virginia
Hi all, first time here. I have a new pellet stove and want to place it against the wall that supports my main staircase.

The problem is that when I lead the chimney through the wall it needs to travel 5-6 horizontal feet before going through the exterior wall of the house, where it will go vertical.

Basically a BIG uppercase L. All the pictures and video I see show the chimney go out the back of the stove a couple feet before going vertical, but I may go out the back 5 or 6 feet.

Anyone have a similar setup? Does this seem like it would cause an issue?

Just curious. I won't hold you to it. Thanks for reading

Everything I read about my stove or other stoves makes no mention of running the stove pipe out the back 6 feet horizontally, so I'm posting here to see if anyone has a similar configuration.

Thanks for reply.

Running it horizontal for that distance will cause a build up of ash and soot, a pretty big fire hazard if you want the truth.