Running 3" pellet vent through propane vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EricTheRed

Nov 10, 2018
CA
I'd like to replace my inefficient free-standing propane stove with a pellet stove. I'd also like, if possible, to avoid putting a hole thru the wall to the exterior for a standard 3" pellet vent. The existing propane vent is double-walled, B-vent. The inner wall is 4" diameter. It's a two story house with 9' ceilings, and it goes vertically through the 2nd floor, shallow attic space and the roof. So the vertical rise is about 20'.

Is it possible and safe to run a 3" vent thru that, vertically, for the pellet stove? Or do I really need to go out thru the wall?

You have to pick a stove and see what there max run of 3" is.

Reactions: EricTheRed
You should also talk to your local inspector and see what the rules are for your area.. Also need to think of how you are going to seal it at the roof level

Not sure any stove will work with 20 feet of pipe at 3”. Probably have to upgrade to 4”. Even if you could..through the wall and thimble is gonna be considerably cheaper than 20’ of pellet vent. JMHO

Not sure any stove will work with 20 feet of pipe at 3”. Probably have to upgrade to 4”. Even if you could..through the wall and thimble is gonna be considerably cheaper than 20’ of pellet vent. JMHO
I think you're right. Upon further research, going up the existing flue, contrary to intuition, is the more expensive route, and isn't likely to work with a 20' rise at 3" diameter. Thanks all.