runaway stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pellet head

Jan 3, 2019
michigan
I have a Breckwell P24i that ignores a shutdown command from the panel control. When the feed rate is in it's lowest setting (#'s 1-3 lights on) and I increase the setting to 1 the feed rate increases and the heat output of the stove increases as it should. However, when I try to return the feed rate to 1-3 the panel control freezes functions and will not respond to any commands including off. This has resulted in a scary situation where the output is increasing with apparently no way to turn it back down or shut it off. I finally opened the door slightly which unsealed the firebox and caused the #2 light to flash and initiated shut down. After cooldown the stove can be restarted and will operate normally until the low feed rate is advanced. A week ago I fully serviced the stove pulling both blowers, firebox covers, disassembled the entire exhaust system and cleaned everything spotlessly. I even pulled the combustion blower fan, cleaned it, spraycoated it with Moly and reinstalled. I have on order a GA lowdrafter kit because I did have an issue with the burn rate not keeping up with the feed rate irregardless of damper setting which I hoped would be corrected with the higher air flow capabilities but if I have a problem with the control board of some other part I would like to correct it before installation.

Is the stove on a quality surge protector? Try unplugging for a couple minutes and see if a reset help if not It sounds like you need a new board.