Roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar12

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2016
Indiana
Ok guys...I am getting ready for for my BK Princess to arrive and the insurance company is requiring mineral wool board sandwiched between sheet metal with a 1 inch between the sandwich and wall...I have noticed that there are at least 2 types of the Roxul...bats and the board in different thicknesses. What have you all went with? And is it truly a "board"?

Ok guys...I am getting ready for for my BK Princess to arrive and the insurance company is requiring mineral wool board sandwiched between sheet metal with a 1 inch between the sandwich and wall...I have noticed that there are at least 2 types of the Roxul...bats and the board in different thicknesses. What have you all went with? And is it truly a "board"?
Why is your insurance requiring that? Do you not meet clearance requirements? If they require it ask them because there is nothing in code or manufacturers requirements about it.

I am assuming they require it as it asks on their check off list? I can meet any and all clearance requirements with ease...maybe I need to get that clarified.

I have to say that sounds stupid. The idea is to leave some room top and bottom for air flow. Maybe I'm way off base.

I have to say that sounds stupid. The idea is to leave some room top and bottom for air flow. Maybe I'm way off base.
I am with you..I will check into it further.

I am assuming they require it as it asks on their check off list? I can meet any and all clearance requirements with ease...maybe I need to get that clarified.
That is the most extreme case of a heat shield - for an non-UL stove. Modern stoves have tested and certified clearance specs - to the nearest combustible surface. NFPA doesn't require wall shielding for inspection as long as the tested clearances are honored or exceeded on a modern UL tested stove. If their underwriter doesn't get that I'd be shopping around for new insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.