Rope visible between stove & flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Farmerjoyles

Aug 5, 2019
Northumberland
Hi. Had a stove fitted last year and I’m concerned as the rope has become visible between stove collar and flue pipe. Not keen on it. It doesn’t look great. Is this ok ?

Rope visible between stove & flue

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, i would have the installer come out and fix/own up to it

Last edited:
The fit of the adapter collar must have been a little sloppy so the installer used a bit of gasket to fill the gap. There's nothing to fix unless the adapter was not needed and the flue pipe fits directly on the flue collar. I would expect there to be 3 screws on the joint and something at the flue collar. Are the other pipe joints screwed together?

You said "has become visible". Was it like that at installation? If so agree with Coreboy, if not better check underneath because it's sinking.

If it just became visible I would bet it either worked up out with the expansion and contraction of the pipe or some of the pipe joints got compressed when the pipe heated up. When it cooled they stayed that way and lifted out of the collar a little. Some screws will fix any of those issues.

I would guess it to be < 1/4". My only concern is that parts are not screwed together.

If the gasket and pipe are already tightly seated then maybe nothing. The screws are there to prevent it from accidentally coming apart and to keep the system integrity under stress, like a serious puffback.

Reactions: bholler
So answer my question. What would have happened had they did that?
It is nowhere near 1/2" it is 1/4" at most. Probably less. If it had screws in it it would not have pulled up out of the stove. It puts equal pressure on all joints when it expands sometimes lifting the chimney a little bit. Then it contracts and it all goes back to the way it was.

Better get your eyes checked if you think that's a 1/2" gap. Your response to BG was pretty dickish also. No need for that.

I'm wondering why there is furnace cement around the flue collar. That should def not be there, or needed.

I'm wondering why there is furnace cement around the flue collar. That should def not be there, or needed.

That just looks like a fillet weld holding the collar to the stove.

The fit of the adapter collar must have been a little sloppy so the installer used a bit of gasket to fill the gap. There's nothing to fix unless the adapter was not needed and the flue pipe fits directly on the flue collar. I would expect there to be 3 screws on the joint and something at the flue collar. Are the other pipe joints screwed together?
Thanks. There are screws in the bottom section of the flue