Room temp/cold air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Grader07

Jan 14, 2017
Maryland
Looking to see if anyone here has tried this. I have a partially finished basement and my Trekker stove is on the finished side. There is a doorway that goes to the “other side” that is left open in winter so the whole basement gets heated but not without a little help from a small fan. With that being said I was told by a friend that said take a small fan and set it on the floor on the cold side of the basement and blow the cold air into the hot air side(where pellet stove is) because cold air is easier to move. I have done this and it seems to work ok but it brings me to the question i want to ask. In blowing the cold air to heated side it blows directly towards pellet stove and I am wondering if this cooling of the glass constantly is possibly why I am having issues with so much dirty glass? In the other thread i am watching about the dirty glass and pellets i have received some good feedback but i had this thought because the stove gets hot then cools faster and restarts more which is where the smoke is inside against glass upon start up. I have a long ranch style house and i blow air on the upstairs floor from hallway toward the insert that heats that floor but it isnt a direct shot like the one in basement. This set up works pretty well on both floors for pushing heat to colder rooms of the house. Again sorry for the long post but I am just curious about the glass on the Trekker.

That fan has no affect on the glass being clean. If your stove is dialed in to burn at its best the glass will get dirty with grey/white fly ash. If your stove is not burning its best you will get black soot. A dirty glass on a wood burning appliance is a given and it actually lets you know how you stove is burning , when it needs cleaning.

mine after 4 days of 24/7
image.jpg

Room temp/cold air

This is mine today after I cleaned it and about 6 hrs burn time. I could literally clean this stove glass every two days or so. It is the gray/white ash and color. Maybe it just drives me nuts because until i installed these pellet stoves ive never had a glass to look thru it was just a good old fashioned wood stove with out.

The Mt Vernon AE thats upstairs it just doesnt really get dirty. I could go almost a week to week and a half before it really starts getting dirty.