Rockwool no t value

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hearthon

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2019
hearthon
Hi everyone,

I just bought some Rockwool for my wood shed with no r value. I’m trying to do this the cheapest way possible and if all works well and I use it often I’ll upgrade. I seen a video on YouTube where the guy put insulation around a stove pipe to get it to go through the wall. I would like to cover the stove pipe and sent it through the wall but also cover the corner of my shed with this insulation.

My question is how good is the heat dissipation with no r value in the insulation? I know it’s heat retardant but with no r value wouldn’t it just let heat in and out? Or does Rockwool act different.

I know I should use brick but I don’t have any right now so was wondering how this would work.

Answered in the other thread. Rockwool can have a decent insulation value. Roxul brand mineral wool is similar to fiberglass for insulation value. That is what I would use.