River birch suprise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Been burning some river birch for first time. I figured it would be real lightweight quick burning stuff. Nope just as good a lot of of other hardwoods.
Has anyone had a similar experience with it?

I think River Birch is another name for Black Birch or Betula Nigra. We got a fair amount once from a man who had cut and split and stacked it for firewood, but then was getting rid of his fireplace or stove or something. [It’s been years ago now, so I don’t remember all the details.] It was well seasoned and in good condition, and he told us it was his favorite firewood in all his stacks. We hadn’t been familiar with it, but I remember that we did enjoy burning it and were pretty impressed. I think we, too, had expected something more like Paper Birch and were pleasantly surprised that it was a denser wood. All that to say, “Yep, we’ve had a similar experience.”

I think River Birch is another name for Black Birch or Betula Nigra. We got a fair amount once from a man who had cut and split and stacked it for firewood, but then was getting rid of his fireplace or stove or something. [It’s been years ago now, so I don’t remember all the details.] It was well seasoned and in good condition, and he told us it was his favorite firewood in all his stacks. We hadn’t been familiar with it, but I remember that we did enjoy burning it and were pretty impressed. I think we, too, had expected something more like Paper Birch and were pleasantly surprised that it was a denser wood. All that to say, “Yep, we’ve had a similar experience.”
I hear you on black birch (bentula lenta). Terrific dense wood. The stuff I have is that ornamental tree you see on people lawns. Very shaggy with the peeling bark and all. I l’ll put up so pics tomorrow with how it looks.

Ah, thanks for that clarification. I looked up the scientific name of River Birch last night and saw Betula nigra, and other common names including black birch. Since the scientific name translates to “black birch,” I just assumed it was the same thing we had received all those years ago. I looked up Betula lenta this morning and see that it, too, is called “Black Birch” or also “Cherry Birch.” What we got definitely had the cherry-looking bark to it, not the peeling ornamental you describe. I can picture that, too, as our next door neighbor up there had such a tree in her yard. I don’t have experience with that as firewood, but I’m glad that it’s turning out to be great wood for you. Enjoy.

Ah, thanks for that clarification. I looked up the scientific name of River Birch last night and saw Betula nigra, and other common names including black birch. Since the scientific name translates to “black birch,” I just assumed it was the same thing we had received all those years ago. I looked up Betula lenta this morning and see that it, too, is called “Black Birch” or also “Cherry Birch.” What we got definitely had the cherry-looking bark to it, not the peeling ornamental you describe. I can picture that, too, as our next door neighbor up there had such a tree in her yard. I don’t have experience with that as firewood, but I’m glad that it’s turning out to be great wood for you. Enjoy.
Thanks !
By the way, if you’re ever interested in a good video about black birch:

Been burning some river birch for first time. I figured it would be real lightweight quick burning stuff. Nope just as good a lot of of other hardwoods.
Has anyone had a similar experience with it?
I don't know about River Birch, but I'm burning Black Birch for the first time ever this season. I love it. It burns long and hot. I hope I can find more for next season.

I don't know about River Birch, but I'm burning Black Birch for the first time ever this season. I love it. It burns long and hot. I hope I can find more for next season.
Black birch is a my favorite. Grows like a weed here in CT!

We had a huge 40+ foot tall river birch in the front yard taken down years ago. The damn thing had three massive trunks and the base was less than three feet from our foundation. I expected very little out of it but it was GREAT firewood. That flakey papery bark was messy as hell. I’d take it it again in a minute.