Restrictor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'm still trying to get my stove fine tuned. From what I have read, and I'm probably mistaken, too much air causes a weak tall flame with little movement whereas less air causes a more vibrant flame that might be smaller. Do I have this right? I woke up this morning to a error code saying flame went out,going through the manual it makes it seem as though this can happen with too much air. I'm just a bit confused right now. If I push the restrictor in all the way it seems to burn best, if I pull it out all the way it gets very lazy. I'm posting a picture of the operating manual. Any tips are appreciated. It's a Lopi stove, new install vented out the roof. I have no oak and the house is not sealed very well.

Attachments

• Restrictor question
    20180124_174212.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 85
I'm still trying to get my stove fine tuned. From what I have read, and I'm probably mistaken, too much air causes a weak tall flame with little movement whereas less air causes a more vibrant flame that might be smaller. Do I have this right? I woke up this morning to a error code saying flame went out,going through the manual it makes it seem as though this can happen with too much air. I'm just a bit confused right now. If I push the restrictor in all the way it seems to burn best, if I pull it out all the way it gets very lazy. I'm posting a picture of the operating manual. Any tips are appreciated. It's a Lopi stove, new install vented out the roof. I have no oak and the house is not sealed very well.

you have it backwards. To little air equals tall lazy flame To much air will blow the embers around in the burn pot and can extinguish you fire at lower burn rates.

Reactions: Jhawknseattle