Restoring Antique Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AmandaCobbWallace

Sep 18, 2019
Walter@1950
I am in the process of restoring an old wood-burning stove. If my measurements are correct, I need a 8” Oval by 5 1/2” wide pipe. The problem is finding a pipe with these exact measurements. This is my first time tackling a wood-burning stove. Any help or suggestions is most welcome. I am attaching pictures.
Thank you I’m advance!
a899faa8dd5ad2daaa4bdb43b93a219e.jpg
0d4743794e8551f2167ce8952b4184dd.jpg
64917a9ddfa3c2ea29b31664e1550f61.jpg
eaa04a26f4bad09a81b96b45757cbc7c.jpg
7343c2be1bb9e1fd0ac2d38ffb394413.jpg
d9a13f9fb044a7cfb738ec80666e66ae.jpg
0fbb7410bbf2d901ec101cc6616e3e7d.jpg
2d9e599ed4caa34d7e23d4064d663392.jpg
b2ddc6112174742f3cfc220b35751a55.jpg
5b39a82af6a75f2bd99b2a8bc7fc738e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try ovalizing a piece of 6" round pipe and see how that fits.

Reactions: AmandaCobbWallace
Either a 6 or 7" pipe will work ovalize one end keeping the other round

My 6 inch range oval measures 7 1/2 X 3 3/4, That works well with 6 inch ovalized.
To be sure, measure the oval with a fabric seamstress type measuring tape. 7 inch pipe measures 22 1/2 circumference. The oval should be about that at the bottom when tapered.

First, it's a coal burning range. You "can" burn wood, but don't expect holding a fire overnight and pieces need to be small.
It also depends on the size of your chimney. If you have 6 inch flue, this adapter should work. (6 inch insulated chimney will work best with coal) You didn't fill in your location, so it is impossible to tell you if any reduction is legal or if a new inatallation of an unlisted appliance is legal in your area.

I'm sure it was originally designed to use 7 inch chimney for that range, by ovalizing a 7 inch piece of pipe. Best to put the damper above warming oven so you reach over the top for it. You would use a pipe surface thermometer burning wood, not needed for coal since it would barely read 150* during normal use. (expect it to read about what the oven temp is with oven on) It is best to use a pipe thermometer of some type if you never cooked or used a manual fired oven, so you know when you have enough draft to circulate around oven and when to shut the oven off if temps drop. Definitely all about the chimney.

Last edited:
My 6 inch range oval measures 7 1/2 X 3 3/4, That works well with 6 inch ovalized.
To be sure, measure the oval with a fabric seamstress type measuring tape. 7 inch pipe measures 22 1/2 circumference. The oval should be about that at the bottom when tapered.

First, it's a coal burning range. You "can" burn wood, but don't expect holding a fire overnight and pieces need to be small.
It also depends on the size of your chimney. If you have 6 inch flue, this adapter should work. (6 inch insulated chimney will work best with coal) You didn't fill in your location, so it is impossible to tell you if any reduction is legal or if a new inatallation of an unlisted appliance is legal in your area.

I'm sure it was originally designed to use 7 inch chimney for that range, by ovalizing a 7 inch piece of pipe. Best to put the damper above warming oven so you reach over the top for it. You would use a pipe surface thermometer burning wood, not needed for coal since it would barely read 150* during normal use. (expect it to read about what the oven temp is with oven on) It is best to use a pipe thermometer of some type if you never cooked or used a manual fired oven, so you know when you have enough draft to circulate around oven and when to shut the oven off if temps drop. Definitely all about the chimney.

Thank you.

Location is Louisiana. I will research on legalities. Thank you for all the info!

Location is Louisiana. I will research on legalities. Thank you for all the info!

2015 international Building Code.
UL approval (tag) is required for "new" installation of all appliances.
Most people install to NFPA Standard if there is nothing on record what was there, and call it "existing". (Existing installations are legal) Not that I'm condoning an illegal installation, but it is safe. The International Family of Codes includes the Mechanical Code which requires UL Listing of all appliances. NFPA 211 includes a section for unlisted installations. That is the clearance and venting to go by for safety. Codes are taken from this Standard, (adopted) and sometimes additional requirements are added which is the case with the International Code. Then local governments adopt codes. Most of the US is under the International Family of Codes.

I've had good luck with custom adapters. They're more expensive than pushing round pipe to an oval, but I've always gotten a much better fit and they're easier to mount. The one's I've had made were $65 to $125, depending on the size of the oval. I go through the local hardware store, but you could try a sheet metal shop. Curt