Resolute III thermostat chain adjustment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SuperLomi

Nov 13, 2019
Lexington
Hello everyone. My wife and I purchased a home last year that came with what I believe is a Resolute III stove (2 door front). After having it inspected this past spring, we have begun firing it up this Fall.

The stove has been working perfectly. My only question is in regard to the thermostat.

We have been able to fire the stove up and get a good hot fire, run all night in horizontal draft mode, etc. However, I noticed the other day when playing with the thermostat setting that pointing the thermostat rod straight up (middle of the setting range) it basically dwindled the fire from 550*F to about 300*F - which I believe is the bottom of the recommended operating range. I was somewhat expecting it to keep a "medium temperature" for the operating range.

I noticed it appears you can adjust the chain length between the coil and the flapper. Is there a written procedure to set this correctly? Or is it something you adjust by trial and error (or is this not supposed to be adjustable, and maybe this was a modification/repair?).

welcome to the forum. i have read the rebuild papers for all the old stoves and never seen anything about that subject. as to your stove adjust it to where you feel comfortable the spring will work the same as to the movement. my defiant runs say 11 o'clock on low and if i want to boost up the stove temp i move it towards 10 o'clock i run it at 600 to 625 on the cooktop.

frank