Replacing zero clearance - modern looking stove options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

torpesco

Jan 7, 2022
BC
Hey all. I'm in Vancouver BC where clean air bylaws mean if I want to keep burning beyond Sep 2025, I'll need to replace my 1979 zero clearance fireplace with a new EPA or CSA certified appliance.

One installer I spoke to here said we'd save about 30% getting a wood stove rather than zero clearance (not including drywall work). This has us thinking a wood stove sounds like a pretty attractive option. The current fireplace is basically framed in and enclosed in our living room, so removing it would reclaim some of that space.

I showed my wife a couple options and while she thought traditional styles looked nice (like PE Alderlea), she felt a modern style would better suit our home (and I agree).

Our home is 1800 sq ft (1000 down, 800 up) on a slab. Fairly well insulated with new windows. I'd like something that could handle a cold snap to 10ºF but mostly the more typical 43-50ºF of our winter days. We mainly rely on a ducted heat pump. The fireplace is our secondary heat source and it cuts the chill nicely on cold wet days. We only go through a half cord per year.

I basically know of two stoves that I think could work for our preferred style:
  • Stuv 16-68 cube (our fireplace has 340 sq in of glass, so I'm drawn to the large window on these -- but not the price!)
  • Osburn Inspire 2000 (what the current estimated price is based on)
The product photos of those on low platforms make me think of a fireplace in a box more than a wood stove. (Inspire, Stuv). As much as I love the look of the Stuv, price and being SBI & made in Canada definitely has me leaning towards the Inspire so far.

Are there some other non-cat options out there with similar styling to the Inspire and Stuv 16?

Not a fan of the Osburn Matrix or PE Neo -- they look too... chunky. Not sure how to better describe what it is I don't like. They remind me of boxy brutalist architecture (some of which I like!).

I also like the look of the Stuv 30, but only the compact model is available in NA, and again -- pricy.

Reactions: GG Woody
The Stuvs are single burn rate stoves. Or there is no air control. That would not make my list.

Blaze King boxer and Chinook are worth looking at if you are ok with a catalytic stove. The inspire would probably stay at the top of my list

Will the stove be in a recessed alcove created by the removal of the ZC? Alcove installs have their own clearance requirements and many stove require a minimum of a 7' ceiling above. There are some workarounds for a lower ceiling alcove, depending on the stove choice, but it narrows the options considerably.

The Stuvs are single burn rate stoves. Or there is no air control. That would not make my list.

Blaze King boxer and Chinook are worth looking at if you are ok with a catalytic stove. The inspire would probably stay at the top of my list
I do like the appearance of those Blaze Kings, yes.

We’re more casual burners, so SBR is almost appealing! (I know - sacrilege.) Focus SBR was on my short list for fireplaces.

Being casual burners is what had me leaning away from cat options. I’d like something as easy as possible for my wife - plus we’d be more likely to go for a small hot fire with pretty flames than a bigger load with a slow burn. I’m only going on what I’ve read on the forum, though. My only experience is with older stoves and fireplaces.

Will the stove be in a recessed alcove created by the removal of the ZC? Alcove installs have their own clearance requirements and many stove require a minimum of a 7' ceiling above. There are some workarounds for a lower ceiling alcove, depending on the stove choice, but it narrows the options considerably.

I knew I should have added a photo… The place is a mess right now, though.

The existing fireplace sticks out into the room fully, with no bump out behind at all. I was thinking we’d keep the left wall as a division by the front entry (plus there’s a light switch in it), and remove the front wall and right wall.

Based on what I see outside, the chimney centre is 24” from the left edge of the left wall, so there will need to be a bend in the new flue.

[Hearth.com] Replacing zero clearance - modern looking stove options?

Last edited:
Does Canada have a 30% off tax credit or was that just the salesperson's estimate in cost reduction?

The Osburn Inspire sounds like a good choice and value.

Do you have a link where is states that you can’t use older wood burning appliances. All thinks I’m finding is you have to register and and attest to clean burning habits.

Does Canada have a 30% off tax credit or was that just the salesperson's estimate in cost reduction?

The Osburn Inspire sounds like a good choice and value.
No, I’m not aware of a tax credit. It’s just that the full job including re-framing the wall in front of the fireplace he said would be $16-17k CAD. He didn’t say for what specific fireplace. The Osburn Inspire he said could be done for around $11k CAD. Not a firm quote, but reference points to start from. Includes removing the old fireplace, flue and wall around it.

Do you have a link where is states that you can’t use older wood burning appliances. All thinks I’m finding is you have to register and and attest to clean burning habits.

The catch with that is you can’t burn unless you register and:

“To qualify for registration, the appliance must meet performance standards to ensure emissions are low.”

🙁

I mean… sad face because it means a costly upgrade to keep burning. Lower particulate matter pollution is a worthy goal.
So here is schedule A that says what’s allowed. Masonry heaters are exempt. interesting.

So the intent was anything that didn’t meet 2005 EPA regulations is not longer allowed. If it did meet standards when it was installed it’s grandfathered in. It’s going to affect many zero clearance units like yourself. You will be happier with a new stove. The Inspire on a concrete pad looks nice. Down side it’s low. You will be on your knees to load it. With kids it’s nice to have the raised physical barrier I have found.

[Hearth.com] Replacing zero clearance - modern looking stove options?

Thanks very much, @EbS-P and @begreen. It seems like Inspire might be the best bet. It has about everything going for it over Stuv except window size.

Interesting note on kneeling to load it - I hadn’t even thought of that, since that’s required for our current fireplace. Will have to sketch and think about the platform vs their steel base.

Reactions: EbS-P
Alcoves are not permitted in Canada.

BKVP

Predicated upon your description of intended use, a single burn rate might be the ticket! Incidentally, The BX24 and Chinook models mentioned above are made in Penticton BC. SBI makes some nice looking units.

BKVP

Alcoves are not permitted in Canada.

BKVP
How is an alcove defined there? Can you provide a link to the guiding regulation?

How is an alcove defined there? Can you provide a link to the guiding regulation?
I'll find it. We had to state it in our Canadian manuals.

I'm confused because Canadian SBI stoves are approved for alcove use and they include a clearance table for such installs.

Very, very recently, ULC 627 was written to require specific alcove tests if you "promote" them as being permissable for alcove.

The US version is also very recent. According to two EPA Certified labs, these recent changes have resulted in no alcove testing as of yet.

For decades as mfgs we tested side wall clearances and assumed the opposite side would be the same required distance. UL, in the past year or so, hold up fellas, you need to test specifically for alcove and a standard is forth coming.

That standard for the US was late last year or very early this year.

The question to ask, has a company tested to the new alcove UL standards, or is it a carryover from prior years.

We have not as of yet tested for alcove using the new standard.

BKVP

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
Predicated upon your description of intended use, a single burn rate might be the ticket! Incidentally, The BX24 and Chinook models mentioned above are made in Penticton BC. SBI makes some nice looking units.

BKVP
Thanks. Yes, I really do like the look of the BX24. I did more reading on cat stoves because of that, though, and it does seem like non-cat is still the way to go for us.

And like you said - maybe even single burn rate! I like the idea of the extra control, but if SBR is what we end up getting, it won’t bother me.

Hearing about those alcove changes, I’m glad I don’t need to worry about them. When we remove the fireplace & enclosing walls, there will be 8’ between the left wall and the front of the room.

Reactions: BKVP