Replacing wood stove with pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendick200

Oct 8, 2014
Lake Huntington NY
I searched for hours and I am more confused now than ever. I want to replace a wood stove in my home with a Englander stove I purchased from Home Depot. The house house no masonary chimney but rather double walled stove pipe from the stove through two ceilings then out of the roof, roughly 30ft. The pipe is 8" to I believe 10" in the attic. I have read different contradicting posts.
Should I tie into the stove pipe already coming down into the living room from the wood stove?
Or
Should I run a liner from the pellet stove up through the stove pipe and connect to the cap on top of the roof?
I have never ran the wood stove in this house because I just purchased the house.
Thank you!

I searched for hours and I am more confused now than ever. I want to replace a wood stove in my home with a Englander stove I purchased from Home Depot. The house house no masonary chimney but rather double walled stove pipe from the stove through two ceilings then out of the roof, roughly 30ft. The pipe is 8" to I believe 10" in the attic. I have read different contradicting posts.
Should I tie into the stove pipe already coming down into the living room from the wood stove?
Or
Should I run a liner from the pellet stove up through the stove pipe and connect to the cap on top of the roof?
I have never ran the wood stove in this house because I just purchased the house.
Thank you!
I think the Englander install manual would be your best guide.. Your existing pipe is probably stainless though, in that sense you would be all set but increasing to ten inches bothers me. Are you sure that isn't the outside size ? In some cases wood stove pipe can be triple wall. Lets put it this way, to drop a 4" liner down there isn't going to hurt anything but your wallet.

I'm not an expert, but the basic understanding I have is that pellet stoves use the small liner because
they generate less heat / flow going out. Without the liner the draft isn't enough to pull any gasses that
need to get out of the house. With a wood stove it's pumping out very hot air so it utilizes the whole larger
pipe. So it might "work" using the existing pipe without a liner, but I think there are safety issues.

It might be smart to have a pro come and inspect it and help you make a decision. If you just bought
the house there could be problems with it.

Why not just go out the wall direct vent? plug the wood stove hole.

When I installed my pellet stove I also had double walled insulated stainless running up from an existing zero clearance fireplace. My manual stated that I had to use a 4" stainless liner for my situation (~24ft). I might have been able to get away with just connecting to the existing system, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also, it allowed me to run the OAK line down the existing chimney next to the liner and pre-heat the air for burning which I think is beneficial overall.

Thanks all for the replies! I have not had a chance to get on a computer and check this forum until tonight. I wish I could just put it straight through the wall but the problem is there is a bedroom behind the wall the stove will be on. The wood stove had a brick base and brick wall behind it so moving it isnt really a option. It seems that the majority say it is safer to run a liner down the stainless stove pipe. The pipe goes 8" all the way up, I was mistaken on the size when I said 10". A guy at work told me his father's pellet stove and his pellet stove are vented by adapting the 3" pellet stove pipe to the old 8" wood stove pipe and they havent had any problems. I dont know of any pros around my area that would look at the installation without being the one to install it. It would be really nice to just connect it to the wood stove pipe! So I guess I should line it?

Thanks all for the replies! I have not had a chance to get on a computer and check this forum until tonight. I wish I could just put it straight through the wall but the problem is there is a bedroom behind the wall the stove will be on. The wood stove had a brick base and brick wall behind it so moving it isnt really a option. It seems that the majority say it is safer to run a liner down the stainless stove pipe. The pipe goes 8" all the way up, I was mistaken on the size when I said 10". A guy at work told me his father's pellet stove and his pellet stove are vented by adapting the 3" pellet stove pipe to the old 8" wood stove pipe and they havent had any problems. I dont know of any pros around my area that would look at the installation without being the one to install it. It would be really nice to just connect it to the wood stove pipe! So I guess I should line it?
Read the install instructions, there should be a diagram of your situation. What does it say ? That's what you want to do. Some stove manufacturers allow that expansion in size others do not. It's not a matter of if your existing stainless pipe is structurally safe, though that certainly would be an issue if it were not, but it's how the stove company that produced the stove suggests how it be installed. They know there exhaust gas temps and pressures better than we do. And virtually any inspector will go by the instructions that came with the stove. So we at the forum could "feel" right to run the pipe different than what the instructions say but if something goes wonkers in the stove and it burns your house down it's proper install that everyone will look at. Do I think that will happen if you run the flue into 8" pipe ? Doesn't matter then does it ? Just follow the install instructions is the message here.

You are right it is better to be safe than sorry! The install manual says to run 3" liner up to 15" and then 4" no more than 35' total if connecting to a mason built chimney or factory built pipe. Looks like thats probabl what I will do. Time to work overtime to pay for it lol

You are right it is better to be safe than sorry! The install manual says to run 3" liner up to 15" and then 4" no more than 35' total if connecting to a mason built chimney or factory built pipe. Looks like thats probabl what I will do. Time to work overtime to pay for it lol
You can drop 4" right on down the existing chimney. The 3" should be listed as up to 15'. I.E. you don't want more than 15 ft of 3" liner but you can use less . Online a 4" liner can be bought at a 25' length. A lot of people use 3" out of the stove then adapt to 4" on the vertical. On my Harman I was running 4" 26 ft up the chimney, I adapted to 4" right at the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.