Replacing thermostat on Intrepid I 1302 wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keithj9835

Sep 21, 2017
Hampstead, Maryland
i need to replace the thermostat assembly on my Vermont Castings Intrepid I wood stove, but I cannot figure out how to remove the old one so I can replace it. I have looked inside the stove to see if it is attached with a nut, but it is not. I have turned the handle back and forth and pulled on it, but it will not come out. How can I remove the old thermostat assembly? Thanks for any help you can give me.

So after removing the thermos. cover by backing out the screw just below the thermostat lever, one simply bends the thermos. lever to straighten it so that the cover slides off more easily. Then, pop out the hinge pin on the "flapper" so it is free. Next, thread the thermostat assy. out (counter clockwise) and voila! You may need to further straighten the thermos. lever so it clears the stove body, but it just unscrews.

So after removing the thermos. cover by backing out the screw just below the thermostat lever, one simply bends the thermos. lever to straighten it so that the cover slides off more easily. Then, pop out the hinge pin on the "flapper" so it is free. Next, thread the thermostat assy. out (counter clockwise) and voila! You may need to further straighten the thermos. lever so it clears the stove body, but it just unscrews.
Thanks, that worked!

One more question. Since I have to straighten out the new one to get it to screw in clockwise, how do I bend it back into shape after installation without the threaded end breaking off in the stove?

i've always started drilling. start with the smallest bit and just keep going larger one bit at a time. when you get close to the size that it is it will either start coming out or retap once you get to the size needed. then use a little never seize before putting it back together

Bought a house with the Intrepid I 1302... I am currently refurbing a few things on it, one being the thermostat assembly. I had to order a new one obviously, also the cover that was missing (and screw). It seems pretty simple, thread in, push cover over, and I read bend handle. Also see the "fan chain" will attach to the flapper door. Is it that easy? How do I "set" it, chain tight but not opening the door when the stove is cold? Looking for some help, thanks!