Replacing OAK tubing with flexible auto exhaust tubing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
I thought I read somewhere on the forum that I could replace the flexible tubing for my outside air kit with a flexible exhaust tubing from the auto store. Has anyone done that and does it work okay? I mean it's meant for an exhaust so I'm sure that it would be fine for air on my pellet stove coming in and out of the house I just want to make sure. big price difference between that auto store and buying from a pellet stove store.

I thought I read somewhere on the forum that I could replace the flexible tubing for my outside air kit with a flexible exhaust tubing from the auto store. Has anyone done that and does it work okay? I mean it's meant for an exhaust so I'm sure that it would be fine for air on my pellet stove coming in and out of the house I just want to make sure. big price difference between that auto store and buying from a pellet stove store.
Yes it would be fine. What do you have now? What would the benefit be in replacing it?

I have nothing right now because the flexible tubing ripped from wear and tear over the last few years. Plugged up the hole in my wall so that freezing cold air when it come in but I do want to replace it.

Debi

You want something that can take heat, in case there's a burnback and hot gasses enter the OAK. Exhaust tubing should be able to handle some heat, I'd think.

Auto exhaust tubing would handle it easily. It worked nicely for mine. Only thing I would do different is make sure the tubing is actually aluminized. I had to buy one section from one store and the other section from another store. The top one was aluminized and is still perfect. The bottom one is not and has some surface rust and the line is clear between the two. It's not a problem so I'm not going to tear it back apart and replace it, but still it'd be nice if they both looked nice. I could also put header wrap on it too.

I used auto exhaust flex tube for both of my stoves. It has been in place for about 10 years. I painted it black with high temp paint before I installed it. Paint has held-up well with no rust.