Replacing Glass Door Pane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Colm

Dec 17, 2017
Galway, Ireland
Hi. I found this forum while looking for a solution to a problem I have here with a door on a wood burning inset fireplace stove.
The Original glass cracked so I removed it to get a replacement cut. The two top bolts came off very easily, but the bottom ones sheared off with little or no pressure on the wrench. I brought the door down to the Glazier, who had the correct glass and cut it for me no bother, but had no way of attaching the bottom part of the glass. The rope gasket was still perfectly serviceable, so I've kept that. He tried some type of sealant, but it is useless. I've lit the fire since and it works fine even with the glass loose on the bottom,as it's being held on only by the clips at the top,but I feel that it should be airtight from a safety point of view.
I'll attach some pictures later on.

Regards,

Colm

The old bolts must be carefully drilled out. depending on how large they are, an easy out removal tool may work.

Reactions: BenTN
Agreed, I've had good luck drilling out bolts like this and then retapping with a flat bottom tap.

The old bolts must be carefully drilled out. depending on how large they are, an easy out removal tool may work.
And if you can't do it a machine shop will for a nominal fee.

Check out left hand drill bits for drilling out bolts. Often they will break the bolt free and it'll unthread, then no need to retap.

Reactions: edyit
check for the bits that squisher mentioned, and spray it with some penetrating oil like liquid wrench or pb blaster before and let it sit for a while.

Reactions: Squisher