Replacing exhaust motor on Harman P61

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Can you folks tell me whats involved to replace this ? Older P61. Had a good run but started really screaming in the night. Looks like three bolts and im sure the paddle with be a struggle, but is that all there is to it? I dont want to get in over my head and still have to pay the man. Thx for any help. Stay warm

Loosen the set screw for the paddle fan, penetration oil and patience is your friend. Remove the fan , remove the three attachment bolts... There have been threads where the fan collar has been cut or the motor shaft cut..

The fan's set screw, would not come loose.....even after penetration oil and heating and cooling. I finally jammed a screw driver in the between the paddle blades so the fan wouldn't rotate and used a 1/8 in drill bit to drill into the end of the shaft centered on the shaft, about 3/4 of an inch deep. After the 1/8 hole was drilled....i went up in size on the drill bit until the paddle fan broke off the end of the shaft.
Very very ez with a few sharp drill bits and a slow turning drill motor

Gee, you could have lubed the bearings on the motor and save yourself a lot of grief and money. 'Screaming in the night' is very indicative of dried out bearings.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Gee, you could have lubed the bearings on the motor and save yourself a lot of grief and money. 'Screaming in the night' is very indicative of dried out bearings.
Thank you all. I got a hacksaw blade in there and cut the shaft off. I dont trust myself to find the right wires running from the motor to the control board. You think it would be ok to cut and splice by the motor? And, where would I be ok to get one through ebay, or Amazon?

Thank you all. I got a hacksaw blade in there and cut the shaft off. I dont trust myself to find the right wires running from the motor to the control board. You think it would be ok to cut and splice by the motor? And, where would I be ok to get one through ebay, or Amazon?
anyone have a part number please?

Take a picture of the wiring
then you will have a visual reference

leave enough wire to put wire connectors on, close to the old motor is good....when you get your new motor, they come with connectors. Replacing the motor is fairly simple, don’t forget to order the fan blade that was most likely ruined pulling the old motor

Would certainly get a new fan.

Some come with a harness that connects to the board , others you have to spice into the original wires.. Like johneh said take a picture

Thank you all. I called for a repair man and thought, maybe i can cut through the shaft with a hacksaw blade, as the set screw wouldnt budge. Grace of God i managed to cut it off. Was going to order one online much cheaper, but shipping is so slow lately, Im going to pick one up at the dealer and new fan blade. Pricey but I still saved on the service call plus they couldnt get out here for a few days. Looks like just ground wire and two others coming from the motor, and I am having a hard time tracing them to the control board or wherever they go, so Im going to splice them.

While Im at it, The stove has some pretty good miles on it, and would Like to get a heads up on whats involved in replacing the auger motor when the time comes? Im have no luck googling or on this forum. Its a Harman P61. Manual, not automatic. Appreciate any help to all. Thank you.

Maybe this ...

Thank you for the video. I picked up the new motor which I was led to believe was OEM, but it wasnt. $138.00 for motor $14.00 for fan paddle. He said OEM was around $400.00 bucks! Anyway, back together, spliced the wires as I never did trace them to where ever they plugged in and all seems good so far. Figure I still saved $150.00 bucks or so on repair charge.Want to than you all for the help.

Finding the wires is very very simple. Just follow them to the disconnects. The wiring harnesses on HARMANS stove are very simple and last. Have a handful of plastic panduit to tie the bundle back up.

Glad you got it and back up and running soon. The $400 seems like a lot for that OEM motor, but at least they had an aftermarket one. Some of them are made by the same manufacturer as the Harman one..

Far as I know, unless the unit is some really off the wall one, there are only 3 manufacturers of drive motors and gearboxes.

Oops I posted the wrong video, thanks gfreek....that’s the one I thought I’d put up

Thank you for the video. I picked up the new motor which I was led to believe was OEM, but it wasnt. $138.00 for motor $14.00 for fan paddle. He said OEM was around $400.00 bucks! Anyway, back together, spliced the wires as I never did trace them to where ever they plugged in and all seems good so far. Figure I still saved $150.00 bucks or so on repair charge.Want to than you all for the help.
OEM is about $165 at the dealer

That is in the US in Us dollars? I have one in my truck. Harman motor is $165.00, Fan blade about $20. When asked, I tell customer about $200 with fan blade and tax for parts then about $ 200 for trip and labor maybe less if closer to the shop. The shop I work for charges $75/hr door to door. Most repairs are 1 hr or less plus travel.