Replacing bricks/baffles and maintaining Napoleon 1450 Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulDale905

Oct 3, 2016
Philadelphia
Hi everyone,

I have about seven bricks that are currently cracked/cracking in the stove. I want to replace them. I have few questions:

1. Where does one order from to get the best price?
2. I assume that reason to replace them is for optimal heating/safety, but can anyone expound on the importance of the bricks in tact (not cracked/broken)?
3. What do these parts normally run so I don't end up overpaying.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Paul Dale

A cracked brick may work ok. It depends on how badly it is cracked and the location. The most typical to crack are the rear bricks. As long as it is not falling apart it may still be usable. Just don't slam logs into the stove. Sometimes one can swap out a floor brick for a cracked rear brick.
I think the 1450's firebrick are pumice brick which makes them more expensive. And they are cut in several sizes for this stove. Here is a source:

Another option is to get a set of standard 4 x 9 x 1.5" pumice brick and cut them down yourself. where needed. (Wear a mask).

I usually get mine for about $3/brick at the local hardware store. Cheapest I've seen them was $2.50/brick. Occasionally and randomly, I found packages of them on sale. Some hardware box stores will price match their competitors.

I usually get mine for about $3/brick at the local hardware store. Cheapest I've seen them was $2.50/brick. Occasionally and randomly, I found packages of them on sale. Some hardware box stores will price match their competitors.
That would be conventional firebrick. Pumice brick is more expensive, but a better insulator.