Replacing a VC Dutchwest Sequoia woodstove. Need suggestions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 18, 2013
NC
We've been supplmenting our gas furnace with our Sequoia stove for 20 yrs. 2000sqft one level house in central NC. Our stove sits in the fireplace opening on a raised hearth, (Fireplace: 41'"W x 29"H x 31"D and raised slate covered hearth extends 21" out from fp opening and 19" up from the floor) is metal lined and set in mansory. The VC Dutchwest Sequoia measures 26"W x 26"H x 18"D with flue pipe coming out the rear of the stove. The stove itself, with an ash tray, sits 2" off the hearth and 3" clearance at the top, relative to the fp opening. (We cut down the legs to create the clearances). The stove has done a fine job over the years but we feel a newer stove would incorporate new technology for a more efficient stove.

Not sure what other info I can provide that would be helpful, but we are interested in what ideas you all might have.
What would be a good stove to move toward?
Thanks!

I have heard of the DW Seneca, but not the Sequoia. I thought the VC Sequoia was a zc fireplace, but I could just be foregetting a model option.

Here are photos of the VC Dutchwest Sequoia.

Replacing a VC Dutchwest Sequoia woodstove.  Need suggestions.Replacing a VC Dutchwest Sequoia woodstove.  Need suggestions.Replacing a VC Dutchwest Sequoia woodstove.  Need suggestions.Replacing a VC Dutchwest Sequoia woodstove.  Need suggestions.

Reactions: begreen
Are you looking to stay catalytic? What,s important to you in a stove?

I admit I do like the clean, efficient burn of a catalytic. We are retired so we are here all the time. We're not looking for the stove to take the place of our gas furnance, just to supplement or when the power is out. Our propane gas guy doesn't like us very much since we only have our tanks filled every other year. But, we have very much enjoyed the heat from a woodstove.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I vaguely remember seeing that stove in pictures but never in person.

The main issue will be finding a stove that fits. If the Sequoia is still in good working condition, maybe consider hanging on to it? Parts are still available and as long as the cat is in good working condition, there will not be a huge increase in efficiency, only 3-5%.

For replacement, an insert may be an easier choice. Freestanding stoves have legs and that raised the flue outlet height. The legs were removed on the Sequoia, but that is not possible with many stoves due to controls or air intakes or ashpans on the bottom. What are the fireplace opening dimensions?

Last edited:
At 29” high for the opening you have a limited number of choices. I have both an insert a stove. The stove sits large way back in the fireplace and is top vented. This way I have my 16” hearth infront of the stove. No need for extra floor protection. Downstairs we have an insert. The stove looks great and heats well but it needs a blower to to a good job of heating the whole house.

The insert just works. If parts are available a rebuild is where I would start. But keep shopping for an insert I liked. There are not many rear vent stoves under 29” Woodstock may have one. Jotul has a brand new model F445 and and F500 but revue on the new car are mixed. F45 might fit with short legs. Could possibly top vent to get more space out front. Many many insert choices.

Heritage will fit, I’m not sure it’s right for this application though.