replacing a propane insert with pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theking

Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2008
western ma
Hi Folks, Been a while since I've logged in here. Happy New Years to all.

I have a question for anyone that's replaced a propane insert with a pellet unit. I recently moved into a new house that has a propane insert, while I like the unit as it puts out decent heat it simply goes through propane way too fast. I filled 2 - 100# tanks and 2 1/2 weeks later they were empty.

So my question is, has anyone replaced a propane unit with pellet? I haven't started taking the propane unit apart yet, probably wait until warmer weather but I'm not sure how the existing unit is held in place. My experience is with free standing pellet stoves so I'm not sure how the inserts get mounted into a fireplace either. I have nice stone work for the hearth and don't want to be sliding a unit in and out across that so any experience and recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,

Dan

I had a LP insert that I tore out and installed my Castile into. That was over 6 years ago, so I don't remember a lot of the details.

You should be able to find online, if you don't have one, the owners manual for your LP insert. You should be able to look at the parts diagram and figure out how the unit is installed.

Mine had a surround that I was able to leave in-place and have a custom surround bent up at a heating shop to fit the Castile into the opening left by the LP insert.

replacing a propane insert with pellet

I slide a piece of sheet metal under the Castile in the spring and pull the entire unit out onto a cart that I made and roll the whole thing outside and do my yearly cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.